It might come in handy one day

G

Having got a degree from the 'It might come in handy one day' school I have to take my hat off to a neighbour's late father who saved old 'blown' light bulbs.(I don't know,your guess is as good as mine)
Now I suspect that boat owners are the most avid collectors of this kind of item.
What's the most 'potentially' useful object you have stored away that you know in your heart of hearts is now totally useless. Come on be honest now!

DanTribe

Visit site
I have a garage full:
1/wore out sheets for use as warps
2/knackered sails
3/large box of Stuart Turner spares
All useless but too good to throw away.

G

Still have spinnaker sheets for GP14 in my garage, "just in case". (Haven't owned a dinghy for over five years, and hadn't sailed the GP for two before that!!)

G

And then two hours after buying a new one you find the old one,whilst looking for something else.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
Id have to talk to my wife about that. We,ve go so much stuff that we dont throw away because quote. "Ill do a car boot sale in the spring" ...If we ever do I should be able to retire on the profits.... and if we dont we,ll be killed in our beds when the roof collapses. Nick

coliholic

Visit site
Oh well there's loads of "useful" stuff that we all keep "just in case".

I've got a centre board, rudder and jib from a Goblin dinghy that we had 15 years ago. And two self bailers.
Two half used tubes of Sikaflex that have gone off, but I can't throw them away at that price and "you never know".
Ten gallons of old engine oil that I could mix with creosote and use as a fence paint. Only thing is we actually haven't got a fence.
A Volvo Penta 3.5HP outboard with the starter mechanism miissing that soemone gave me, "'cos I'm into boat stuff, so may as well have it".
One set of wooden oars with broken blades. (Perhaps the Oxford 8 would like this for this afternoon.)
A Freeman logo and builders crest. Can't throw it away, have you seen the price of that stuff?
An 8x4 sheet of teak faced 3/8 marine ply, half cut through and with a big gouge right through the veneer, but....
A rotating blip echo sounder thingy, with no transducer which I replaced witha NASA Duet, but you can't thro it away, can you?

Oh and if you're asking about useless stuff that has really passed it's sell by date and is no good to man nor beast, there's the wife......