Is there a Well stocked chandlery on the upper Thames?

Phill

Visit site
As the title says really. Some of us are recommissioning this weekend and as Espar at Harleyford don’t open bank holidays and weekends from now on, just wondered what our options are. Really impressed with Sheridan at Moulsford but it’s a bit of a drive from Marlow if you need something small like a nut and bolt.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Penton Hook Marina has one. Apart from that, the so called "chandlers" have very limited stock. Nauticalia, opposite Weybridge, has a lot of stock bit it's more like a fancy goods/gift shop.

Parabordi

Visit site
Sad to see harleyford go, they are talking basic chandlery in office. If its like the pitiful shelf at bray with 2 bottles polish don't bother.

RichardB1961

Visit site
Ive been to Reading Marine a couple of times , very friendly and helpful not a massive shop but always seemed to have what I wanted;-)

TrueBlue

Visit site
Yes we are. Been there for about ten years now. We’ve spoken before at Henley and also about when you were based in Weymouth. Is that correct? Love Harleyford but hope they get these issues sorted out soon.

I don't suppose they will - reading between the lines, there's not a lot of movenemt in boat sales or chandlery either...
(I'll probably get shouted at, later)

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Shepperton is pretty good.
Last time I went to Penton earlier this year it looked like the chandlery had closed down. Maybe it was seasonal.
eBay is good.

Sheridan is pleasant.

Better Boating is quite good but definitely not extensive stock.

Another option could be Uxbridge boat centre not far from Marlow. Obviously more canal boat oriented but they do have extensive stock and there are a few overlaps between the splitters and the tin worms.

eBay is good.

Times change.

Last edited:

rosssavage

Visit site
MEC marine at wargrave is fantastic - may not have everything off the shelf (although they are pretty extensive) but Bill the proprietor can get you anything pretty quick. Including no longer available belts for my obscure generator raw water pump - top man!

Shepperton are also very good, and have a lot on the shelf.

Penton is ok at a push - friendly and helpful staff, but very odd opening hours (I think not on Mondays, and 10-4 for the rest of the week).

ianc1200

Visit site
Because I work nearby I use Uxbridge Boat Centre and they do seem to have most of what I need on their shelves. Plus run by a couple of very knowlegable ladies, Linda & Liz.

Parabordi

Visit site
Because I work nearby I use Uxbridge Boat Centre and they do seem to have most of what I need on their shelves. Plus run by a couple of very knowlegable ladies, Linda & Liz.

Yeah i have used them for many a year too as did my father. We used to be members of the club there. Guess i will be using them a lot more now.

Newbroom

Visit site
Those of you who have to pass close to Aldershot on the way to the boat should try Pacer marine Extremely well stocked warehouse chandlery.

ms1

Visit site
Seems like the clue is in the question, well stocked/upper thames. Penton Hook and Harleyford are nothing like well stocked, Uxbridge is NOT on the thames. As closed to 'well stocked' as you can get would be Shepperton but I wouldnt call that upper thames.
Others can be as friendly, accessible, interesting and helpful as you like but the honest and one word answer to the gentlemans question is no.

Phill

Visit site
Seems like the clue is in the question, well stocked/upper thames. Penton Hook and Harleyford are nothing like well stocked, Uxbridge is NOT on the thames. As closed to 'well stocked' as you can get would be Shepperton but I wouldnt call that upper thames.
Others can be as friendly, accessible, interesting and helpful as you like but the honest and one word answer to the gentlemans question is no.
Possibly, but other posts have been far more helpful than yours. :cool: