Is there a real shortage of secondhand boats?

Concerto

Visit site
Just looked at the Westerly Owners web site For Sale page and they only have 12 listings, 2 of which are under offer. Normally there are 20 to 30 boats listed. There is an Oceanlord 40ft, a Renown 32ft 6", four Konsorts 29ft, and four Centaurs 26ft. Also they are almost all listed this year, all but one in the last 3 months.
Craft for Sale

Frogmogman

Visit site
Just looked at the Westerly Owners web site For Sale page and they only have 12 listings, 2 of which are under offer. Normally there are 20 to 30 boats listed. There is an Oceanlord 40ft, a Renown 32ft 6", four Konsorts 29ft, and four Centaurs 26ft. Also they are almost all listed this year, all but one in the last 3 months.
Craft for Sale
The Contessa 32 owners' association "for sale" section hasn't a single boat on it. There's usually a good half a dozen.

Tranona

Visit site
Does this work both ways? I was looking at buying a UK flagged boat in the EU - A vega, or a Sadler, both older than me so made before 84.
See post #25. Age is irrelevant as is the state of registration. If you buy a boat in the EU and import it into the UK as a UK resident you will have to pay VAT on its current value - essentially what you pay for.

However depending on the specific circumstances you may be able to avoid this. The most obvious and common is that if the boat is still owned by the person who took it out of the UK they can return it and claim Returned Goods Relief and you then buy it in the UK. However if you buy it in the EU that relief is not available to you.

Frogmogman

Visit site
It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Similar bullshit applies in property sales; my friend has just sold his ski flat in the French Alps, and although there is a capital loss of €140 000, he has been obliged to appoint and pay a French fiscal representative the princely sum of €1400 to assess the capital gains liability, and provide the state with a guarantee that any tax owing will be paid. This is a requirement where the vendor is from a non-EU country.

Concerto

Visit site
Looking quickly at the documentation (https://assets.publishing.service.g...to-recreational-craft-regulations-2017-tp.pdf) it seems to apply to new craft. It does not specifically say anything about secondhand sales which have already been given a RCD marking or the new UK RCR starting 1 January 2021. Personally it looks like a reporter is gold plating the new regualtions to include secondhand yachts to make a good article.

awol

Visit site
Looking quickly at the documentation (https://assets.publishing.service.g...to-recreational-craft-regulations-2017-tp.pdf) it seems to apply to new craft. It does not specifically say anything about secondhand sales which have already been given a RCD marking or the new UK RCR starting 1 January 2021. Personally it looks like a reporter is gold plating the new regualtions to include secondhand yachts to make a good article.
Phew! It's only "Guidance" and there aren't anything like enough threads on here about the need to follow guidance. are there?

D

Deleted member 36384

Phew! It's only "Guidance" and there aren't anything like enough threads on here about the need to follow guidance. are there?

And here is the regulation The Recreational Craft Regulations 2017

and the scope from the rgulations

Scope

3.—(1) Subject to regulation 4 (exclusions) these Regulations apply to the following products—

(a)recreational craft and partly completed recreational craft;

(b)personal watercraft and partly completed personal watercraft;

(c)components;

(d)propulsion engines which are installed or specifically intended for installation on or in watercraft;

(e)propulsion engines installed on or in watercraft that are subject to a major engine modification;

(f)watercraft that have been subject to major craft conversion.

(2) A watercraft that can also be used for charter or for sports and leisure training is covered by these Regulations when it is placed on the market for recreational purposes.

Not sure if this only applies to: -

... businesses placing recreational craft on the market in Great Britain from 1 January 20211. If you are placing recreational craft on the market in Northern Ireland, you should read separate guidance: ...

and if it applies to existing yachts sold through a broker?

Last edited by a moderator:

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I've
Craft for Sale

And one of the Konsorts is showing as sold on Apolloduck.

Jodel

Visit site
I rang a broker on Saturday afternoon to enquire about a boat that was listed with them. The chap that answered the phone didn't know it was even on their website as it was newly listed.
There were no details as to condition of anything that might be important to a new buyer eg engine/rigging/sails/last antifoul etc etc and the photos were the ones that the broker had on file from the last time they sold the boat 5 years previous.
The excuse was that it was on a remote pontoon in a closed marina so there was no access to take photo's or verify the condition/spec.
I got a txt this morning to say it was now sold.
There are some buyers out there who are either braver or more foolish than me (or both!)

V1701

Visit site
Given that it was for quite some time more of a buyer's market leading up to the pandemic I would imagine things will gradually return to something akin to what we had before and that this is all just a blip, albeit quite a big one. Similar things have happened in other markets, e.g. motorbikes...

doris

Visit site

Concerto

Visit site
Therefore you are saying that turnover is now at the same level as 2018
If you read the article, you may find this paragraph interesting.
"After an initial sales slump of 40% between March and May in 2020, with sales inhibited by the UK’s first national lockdown, sales of new and used boats rebounded rapidly in the summer. The impact of the ‘staycation’ effect was felt from June to the end of December, as boat unit sales grew over 50% compared to the same period in 2019. "