Is there a cheaper alternative to sikaflex?

VicS

Visit site
Sikaflex 291 is the most suitable and easily obtainable although any other brand of polyurethane adhesive sealant should do equally well (There ia a non marine equivalent of Sikaflex 291 which is cheaper too)

Alternatively a "modified silicone (MS) polymer" sealant. Popular now in building and civil engineering. Don't use the ordinary silicone though. That is not likely to be succesfull.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I used to use sikaflex 291 until I was told by a technical guy from sikaflex that 221 is the same but non marine and thus cheaper.

I have also used a produce from a company called den braven which is used in the motor industry for the joints in some cosmetic deck strip planking several years ago and it is still OK even in the South African UV light conditions. web page

web0827.jpg

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Yes Arbo 1240 (not sure if it is still available) is technically better than Sika or it was when I last researched it7-8 years ago.

Talk to them they have a huge range of marine products, it was arbo caulk that was used on the decks of the Warrior in Portsmouth, that's when I came across it first.

Arbo Adshead ratcliffe

Keith 66

Visit site
Yes there is, go to your local car paint supplier and there will be polyurethane body sealant for about half the price of Sikaflex.
C.A.R.S on Canvey Island used to do a Mirka one that was good Wurth also make similar.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I bought a tube of an alternative from my local caravan shop. Used to bed fittings on external surfaces, e.g. hatches, satellite dishes, mains connectors. Specification read as being very similar to Sikaflex 291. It cost me £7. Having used it, results are perfectly satisfactory. And it's just as messy as Sikaflex to use!