Is the Cruising Association worth joining?

cliffdale

Visit site
I'm planning a Med trip and possibly back to the UK via Azores. I have met a few people in my travels who are members.
Is it worth £118 membership fee?

It's hard to work out the benefits of joining.

Any members here? Let me know the advantages.
Thanks

chinita

Visit site
Those who are members will say yes.

Those who are not members will say no.

:)

You get to wear a blue ensign though (OK, it is a bit of a 'joke' blue ensign).

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Is it worth joining the CA? It depends on your needs, your experience, and whether you're prepared to sacrifice rather less than the price of a pint of beer a week for the benefits.

Benefits:

A range of discounts for members for marinas and various other suppliers. for quite a few members, these discounts more than repay their membership fees. Leaves you with a plus on the beer/week account. Some people cruise areas where the discounts don't fit their habits, which is a disappointment to them.

A superb email network, where you post an email question to a region forum (Med, Blue water), and you receive from 3 to 15 replies within 24 hours from people who have been there and done it. Nobody else receives the replies, so everyone is not blown out of the water with email traffic. But any member can go to "Mednet Forum" and see the whole dialogue which has taken place. And add their bit via forum if they wish. The good news is that all this correspondence is by names, not pseudonyms, so conversation is very polite and helpful by YBW standards. There's also far less speculation, more facts.

Next three are to do with Information about Places. You can never be completely up to date with this, but CA is at the cutting edge due to the large numbers of reporters cruising the Med, 1,000 I believe at the last count:

Info 1. Annual pilot book updates for most of the Med, free downloads, which also advise on layup sites.

Info 2. Lists of current reports, region by region, which are basically queues of stuff waiting to be edited into the updates (item above), and many of these reports are now being made through an iphone app (Android on its way) which give a zoomable map, with pins for each location, which you can download and work with when you're not connected.

Info 3. Info about individual country regulation changes - both just happened, and in the pipeline, together with news about places where officials don't toe the EU/individual country lines. Usually two steps ahead of the RYA

Info 4. Local reps who can advise, or point you to sources of advice and suitable suppliers when things turn to worms

You've missed the boat for this one: last Sunday a seminar, with loads of face to face contact and Q's between people who've been there, and newcomers to the region, headlined by talks plucked from the web pages about places to visit (Black Sea anyone?), forthcoming rallies, wintering engines in the Med (yes, it freezes there) and the latest regulation changes.

The big deal is, if you're moderately short of time, and don't want to spend too much time researching, the Cruising Association offers hundreds of short cuts to finding things out. You do have to burrow a bit, but it's far easier than reading up all the pilot books beforehand, and far more depth and reliability than most free sources.

The downside is those 40 pints of beer you won't be able to pay for.

On the other side, inveterate explorers who enjoy surprises when they first enter a bay/port/marina, and are very self contained, or who have the time to research loads of sources, won't have so much need. So they'll be 40 pints up - together with occasional adrenaline shots when things weren't quite what they expected! Nothing like a few thrills and spills, eh!

I'm a member. Mainly for the really nice people I meet when they drop by passing Finikounda during the summer.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
For many years the only CA boats we ever saw we're scruffy old Macwesters and the like tucked away up Essex creeks. I formed the impression that the club was for poseurs who dreamt of crossing oceans. Now, several of my friends belong and I have a mind to join myself, for its cruising informations and contacts in the Baltic. It seems quite pricy but I will probably cancel the RYA membership.

neil1967

Visit site
Can't put it more eloquently than Jim.

I'm a relatively recent member (2nd year) and we've been to various seminars at the CA in preparation for our future cruising liveaboard life in 4-5 years. It won't suit everyone, but I'm glad we joined.

Neil

affinite

Visit site
I recently cancelled my RYA membership as I felt I wasnt getting value from it.
I am inclined to join the CA - discounts on my planned haul out location would pretty much cover the cost of membership.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
I'm a member. Mainly for the really nice people I meet when they drop by passing Finikounda during the summer.

I see from the mag that you've recently been elected to the CA's Council. Congratulations.

The mag is excellent and the technical notes are comprehensive and accurate. I don't take part in CA activities, but have been to a few first class lectures when visiting London. The "cabins" are fine for a couple of overnights; very inexpensive and in an interesting part of London with some good urban walks. I certainly learnt a lot from the lectures and talking to members over a pint.

prv

Visit site
It had never occurred to me to join an organisation like this, but having had a look at their site it does have a certain appeal. However, it also seems like it's centred in two locations - London, and "Out There" in remote and interesting places. I very rarely visit London, so wouldn't benefit from the facilities at the clubhouse, and while I would love to be sailing in remote and interesting places, I don't have the time away from work to plan much further than the Channel Islands and the West Country. I also rather doubt that our little yard with its muddy drying pontoons gives CA discounts on mooring fees :). I'm not sure that £10 a month represents good value for me for another forum and a blue ensign :)

Pete

Tony Cross

Visit site
;) The defaced blue ensign is not obligatory and most CA boats that I've come across don't wear them.

+1. I'm a member of the CA too, and I proudly wear a big Red Ensign, I'm also one of the "local Reps" JimB mentioned, my "port" is the Greek island of Crete. This network of helpers (they are called HLRs) means that a CA member has a friend in every port (ok, in a great many ports then :)). I get a lot of emails from members asking for help and advice before they visit Crete, this helps them plan their visit to make better use of their time and money. Like other HLRs I have a network of local contacts so when members arrive on the island with a busted alternator (for example) a quick call or email to me will get them pointed to the best people to help them (although of course I can't possible know every workman in every port!).

The website (which is being upgraded and improved) is a gold mine of privileged information submitted by members for members. All members are encouraged to submit cruising reports (and most do) which are published on the website and which are searchable and accessible to all members. They also form the basis of the update to pilots which the CA produces every year. This is a boon when planning trips to areas you don't know and where there may not yet be an HLR.

The email network is extremely useful, as JimB has mentioned you won't get your head verbally ripped off there for saying something that turns out to be silly or wrong but you will find a host of helpful (and quick) replies to almost any boating question you choose to ask.

You don't have to join for life, so sign up for a year and see how you get on. You do need to use the CA to get the full benefit from it though, don't expect to join, sit back and have the CA come knocking at your door (or gangway)!! :)

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
;) The defaced blue ensign is not obligatory and most CA boats that I've come across don't wear them.

In all seriousness I was counting the ensign as a benefit :)

my "port" is the Greek island of Crete.

There's a good example. When am I going to be sailing to Crete on four weeks' holiday a year? I agree that the CA looks like a brilliant resource for the wealthily retired (especially living near London), but not particularly applicable to me.

The email network is extremely useful, as JimB has mentioned you won't get your head verbally ripped off there for saying something that turns out to be silly or wrong

But I don't say things here that are silly or wrong :p:p:p :D. And I have a thick enough skin (or tough enough neck) to cope when people think I do :rolleyes:

You do need to use the CA to get the full benefit from it though, don't expect to join, sit back and have the CA come knocking at your door (or gangway)!! :)

That's just it though - I don't think I would use it. That's a reflection on me and my sailing, not the organisation. It's a club for world-wide cruising; I don't do world-wide cruising, therefore it's not for me. Sadly.

Pete

DaveRo

Visit site
I recently cancelled my RYA membership as I felt I wasnt getting value from it.
I am inclined to join the CA - discounts on my planned haul out location would pretty much cover the cost of membership.
Some yards give you a discount with RYA membership too.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Originally Posted by Tony Cross
my "port" is the Greek island of Crete.
There's a good example. When am I going to be sailing to Crete on four weeks' holiday a year? I agree that the CA looks like a brilliant resource for the wealthily retired (especially living near London), but not particularly applicable to me.

You miss the point of HLRs, they are everywhere, many are in the UK, Belgium, France and Holland. We have HLRs in a great many places in the Med and, indeed, all over the world. If you want to cruise for four weeks in southern France, or the Ionian, or south Turkey, or pretty much anywhere the CA either has an HLR there who can assist or the email network will put you in touch with other members who are there or who have been there recently.

As for "wealthily retired" I think wealth is very subjective. Most people on these fora own a boat, does that make us all wealthy? Certainly if you were to ask the half-dozen CA members in the marina here on Crete whether they were wealthy you'd be met with raucous laughter. Especially from me! :) The CA is most certainly not a rich-man's club, far from it.

Originally Posted by Tony Cross
You do need to use the CA to get the full benefit from it though, don't expect to join, sit back and have the CA come knocking at your door (or gangway)!!
That's just it though - I don't think I would use it. That's a reflection on me and my sailing, not the organisation. It's a club for world-wide cruising; I don't do world-wide cruising, therefore it's not for me. Sadly.

It's also not a club for world-wide cruising. The CA does have members (and HLRs) all over the world but most of them are in Europe. Within the CA there are 18 "sections" these organise their own agendas and activities. 11 of these sections are in the UK, only 1 is outside Europe (the Blue Water section). The largest (over a quarter of all CA members belong to it) is the Mediterranean section. My point was that the CA is partly a social club but mostly it's a resource and if you don't use the resources it has to offer then you are missing out.

The CA is not for everyone of course, it wouldn't do for us all to enjoy the same things. I'm not going to tell you that joining the CA was the best thing I ever did, nor is it true that I couldn't manage without it. Sailors, I have found, are generally sociable people who enjoy helping others and who value the help they receive. The CA simply provides a framework and a resource centre that amplifies that natural sense of sociability and helpfulness. It works for me anyway... :)

blueglass

Visit site
Some yards give you a discount with RYA membership too.

that's right. Mine gives the same 5% discount for both RYA and CA and if discounts are the main reason for joining this should be looked at carefully.
The only down side to CA is the cost. If they addressed that they would achieve a far bigger membership and still turn over the same income.
I have often thought of joining but at the end of the day the membership costs are IMHO just too high to pull me in.

Flossdog

Visit site
Thanks Cliffdale for bringing this up. I have been meaning to join for some time and I am going to do it NOW. Being a member of the Southerly Owners Association I get 50% off the first year's membership!

sailorboy1944

Visit site
I am certainly not rich, being a pensioner on a limited budget. Am currently an offshore member, living on my boat in Spain. When in England I attended quite a few lectures and raided the library for information I needed, I certainly intend to contact various HLRs when needed as I progress into the Med. Will also wear the ensign with pride.

Chrissie

Visit site
In all seriousness I was counting the ensign as a benefit :)

But I don't say things here that are silly or wrong :p:p:p :D. And I have a thick enough skin (or tough enough neck) to cope when people think I do :rolleyes:

Hi Pete, I was a member, there are local sections, the Solent meets monthly at the RAF club Hamble. and another section meets at one of the Poole Clubs. They have weekend rallies, sail in companies, dinners, BBQs, guest speakers and I enjoyed being a member.

Resolution

Visit site
I joined the CA last month and went to their seminar on the Baltic. I have been bowled over by the sheer quantity of information and advice made available for our upcoming trip to the Baltic. Worth much more than the membership fee.

cliffdale

Visit site
For me, I don't think I would attend any seminars as I live too far away. My main interest would be to have contacts and information about ports I am likely to visit.

Like flossdog, I'm joining the association at half price, I'm very interested in what the association has to offer.

Other threads that may be of interest