Is the Caribbean really that busy these days?

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Have you sailed down there?
IMHO means it's an opinion, not any kind of statement of fact.
Done both, South America was harder sailing & you're on your own for boat bits though back street workshops will do pretty much anything like rewinding a bst starter motor by hand . Can be a bit dodgy but then the Carib can been rough as old boots.
So from experience my little brain fond the Carib a little bit tame & big boat holiday park after the more on your own slightly wild west further south.

Each to their own though. Not like there's some kind of external reality of "best cruising ground", value judgements only exist inside the brains of a certain big brained ape, nowhere else in the universe.

But trying to keep an open mind, lets have a look - "Bequia is an extremely popular spot. However I bet I could find multiple secluded sheltered bays within a days sail where you’d be the only boat."
Can you mention half a dozen to have a look at?
We sailed past several attractive looking bays on Martinique Western & SW coasts where there were empty bays that looked very attractive. Alternatively going S Canouan has only had one or two (or none) visiting yachts anchored in Grand Bay but if that’s too crowded Mahault Bay has usually been empty. Salt Whistle Bay on Mayreau is invariably busy but further S we’ve been the only boat anchored off the hotel in Saline Bay (we’ve been there a couple of times and the hotel likes boats anchoring off as it adds to the ambience of the bay and you therefore get free use of their pool etc). Shall I keep going?

Sea Change

Visit site
we’ve been the only boat anchored off the hotel in Saline Bay (we’ve been there a couple of times and the hotel likes boats anchoring off as it adds to the ambience of the bay and you therefore get free use of their pool etc).
Just a nitpick, I think you're referring to Trois Anse bay, with the beach resort. Wonderful place, recently laid hurricane rated moorings free to use, triple tier infinity pool, excellent food and drinks. And it's really just up to your own conscience how much you patronise the place in exchange for the mooring.

Saline bay is the next one down... the one backed by the perfect beach, where I got a good haul of coconuts.

There's also an anchorage on the windward side of Mayreau, which is good in settled weather. It's huge, and I think there was one other boat in with us.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Just a nitpick, I think you're referring to Trois Anse bay, with the beach resort. Wonderful place, recently laid hurricane rated moorings free to use, triple tier infinity pool, excellent food and drinks. And it's really just up to your own conscience how much you patronise the place in exchange for the mooring.

Saline bay is the next one down... the one backed by the perfect beach, where I got a good haul of coconuts.

There's also an anchorage on the windward side of Mayreau, which is good in settled weather. It's huge, and I think there was one other boat in with us.
You’re probably right. I was having a quick scroll through Navionics and trying to remember coves and bays we’d seen or stayed in.