Is it true about Fletcher

BarryH

Visit site
Is it true that they have gone out of business after all the problems of last year. I had a few fletcher boats in the past and have potterd round the coast and even a trip across the channel in one.

What happened they seemed to have picked up after their troubles and even displayed at the boatshow. Sad day for another British Builder going down the pan.

Why is it that the upper end of the market seem to go from strength to srength, while the grass roots builder go out of business. Surely the builders such as Fletcher are the first step on the boating ladder. So is there not the same amount of people coming into boating at this level anymore. Or are they coming in at the next level up.

I started with a small Fletcher and had great fun in it over the years of owning it. I sometimes wish that I still had one. Basic boating, but great fun and ease of launching and the lower cost of running still make them attractive for when I'm by myself and the family is off doing other things. Launching and recovering the Tremlett is really a two handed job.

captain.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue> I for one will be sad if Fletchers go. Norman Fletcher was directly responsible for bringing power boats within reach of the pockets of the masses. Quality craft at a regular price.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

rich

www.portofjersey.je
It's nothing to do with the boats - as far as I know it's because the backer has gone from billionaire to zero overnight and a lot of his businesses have gone down the pan, including Fletcher.

<hr width=100% size=1>rich :))

coliholic

Visit site
Sad if true. I too had a Fletcher in the early 70's and have fond memories of it too. I guess it's people buying these cheap imports like Glastron\Jenneau etc not realising or caring that they're directly contributing to the downfall of UK manufacturing. And I bet they'll be the first to moan when they can't get the parts they need this side of the pond.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Yes, true. See this thread from a little while back ....<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=mby&Number=306826&Search=true&Forum=mby&Words=fletcher&Match=Or&Searchpage=0&Limit=99&Old=3months&Main=305533>here</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

gonfishing

Visit site
fletcher boats have gone yes, about ten days ago, but a victim of cheap Imports? no, in my opinion a victim of consumer awareness, yachting and boating is no longer the preserve of the very rich elite, a lot of boats have become accessable to the "ordinary man" albeit on the used market, new boats however are still subject to (in U.K) of being grossly overpriced compared to worldwide competitotrs, this is possibly the first this year how many will follow?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
OI, you cheeky monkey, I bought a Glastron, and I can tell you they are NOT CHEAP for what they are, but agree they are an import. Anyway I looked at British boats and could not find a suitable one so plumped for Glastron. The other reason I went for them was the company history, the research that has been done into the VEC hulls, also the back up and parts availability. SO maybe I was right, I would be up a creek without a paddle now (excuse the pun) if I had bought a Fletcher wouldn't I.

Anyway I for one would be the first to but a British boat if it came up to the standard I required. I would also expect it to be substantialy cheaper than an imported one, taking into account the shipping costs involved.

And as for anything nautical over here, we get ripped off left, right and center, I know I have bought gear at stupid prices only to find them 60% + cheaper (same product or similar) in a bloody camping shop. So who is having a laugh at our expense? Anyway, lesson learnt, watch out there is a thief about, before you buy check the prices out (in a camping shop first)

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 6,000 lbs winch for use on the very odd occassion from www.samsclub.com in Washington USA, it cost $88 see :-
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_...mdcfkfcfkjdgoodflf.0&ftv=&search_string=winch

NOW look at prices for the same type of product in the UK

http://www.winchwarehouse.co.uk/leisure_winches/winch_prices.aspx?Webcatid=3

UNBELIEVABLE. OK perhaps the one I have is not so well made or so astheticaly pleasing or whatever, but for the use I need it for it is perfect, and they are both guaranteed to do the same job

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Excelent idea Happy Grumpy 1. Please direct me to the

Radar camping shop.
Anchor camping shop.
Chart Plotter camping shop
Fender Camping shop
VHF Camping shop.
Life Jacket Camping shop..
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Camping shop!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue> Haydn

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Are you telling me you don't have a 'camper canvas' /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Nice one Haydn, I was trying to be sensible, it is so obvious you have not been in a camping shop for such a long time and seen the advances in the camping world. Radar is pretty much standard for seeing movement on the larger sites, with all the floods anchors are selling well, chart plotters, well they are everywhere now, all the GPS stuff is the same just packaged differently. fenders OK they have different shapes, the flat one in camping but you can still use them, VHF has not sold so well with people opting for the two way walkie talkies, so good discounts avialable on VHF at the moment, life jackets, well you just threw that in at the end because you didn't know what else to say, but they are just really big airbags! I will accpet the apology by post or PM doesn't worry me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>ALL experienced yotties know to check a camping shop first when looking to buy something for their boat. What you have to realise Grumpy is that the cost of making a label that says 'MARINE' is horrific which is why any item bought in a Chandlery costs so much more.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

oldgit

Visit site
May be their market is simply not there any more and they did not move with times.I may have the wrong view about Fletcher" fairly basic utilitarian craft with no frills", but with stuff available with all knobs n whistles as good as Glastron Regal etc perhaps a bare bones boat was not wanted.Brings to mind the good old motorcycle and sidecar which served a need.How many people would buy one today.(this comment excludes all owners of S.........s)

<hr width=100% size=1>Oooh look its still not dark and its nearly 5pm

wingnut

Visit site
Fletcher is it worthwhile ???

Your statement seems a fair reflection with regards market, however, alot of import boats have shallower hulls, especially american boats. The handling of a Fletcher whilst perhaps matched by a couple of manufacturers cannot be put down. It appears that most "power boats" are used as means of propulsion to fuel another passion i.e. skiing or boarding so why have knobs, bells n whistles and sacrifice performance if you don't need to?
If Fletcher does return should it go all out on useless gizmos or go back to basics and survive giving a performance, hand built craft.
Lets tell prospective buyers (rumour has it there are several) what we would like to see or expect over a period of time.

<hr width=100% size=1>