Is it my PC or is the Forum slow ?

G

Lately the update after posting, the forum initial load-up time etc. etc. has got slower and slower ........

I started to think my PC was grinding to a halt ........... in fact a few times I have restarted it thinking it had failed !

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I came - cos they said was FREE Guinness !
/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

John7

Visit site
Its been very slow for over a week now. This is on a 500k home lne a a 5Mb one at work so its not my end.

<hr width=100% size=1>

B

bob_tyler

Uploads after posting are certainly very much slower than they used to be. I wonder if it is because there are so many more on line at one time now owing to the success if these site?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
Nigel,

many many threads on the subject in the past few weeks. If you have a look around (suggest looking in feedback forum for most informative posts from Kim, as this is the most logical place for such discussions), Kim has responded to many of them

There's an issue with number of forum members slowing server, but consensus seems to be that some people are having many more problems than others so Internet providers and internet bottlenecks are a major factor for some

<hr width=100% size=1>For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three

jackho

Visit site
I'm delighted to read your comment because I thought the problem was my PC and as I am on Broadband it seems like ages for the forum to load up. I can relax now knowing its not my PC but it does test my patience.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
"Its been very slow for over a week now. This is on ...... a 5Mb one at work ......

Oi. Get some work done. Us pensioners are relying on you workers /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
Re: Code changes

Just tried it - took 20 sec to upload a post. Way longer than other sites. The delay was between the initial packet of data going out and the exchange of data making the post.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PS This particular post was 29 sec from clicking the mouse to the automatic return to the forum list (before editting)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by birdseye on 20/11/2003 16:46 (server time).</FONT></P>

the_wanderer

Visit site
Maybee it'l be a bit faster if people diddn't put daft images on their posts. On my standard 56k setup I'm fed up waiting for a download of something I am not interested in and don't want to see. Please don't tell me to update my computer as I am only interested in knowledge, not silly pictures.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by the_wanderer on 22/11/2003 00:31 (server time).</FONT></P>

craigbalsillie

Visit site
if you go into the user options and the display properties and swicth off the images and change the "post format" to top the images won't be displayed...

there was quite a bit of info on that sort of thing in one of the other threads on this subject.. which in my opinion are in the wrong forum.. I'm sure there's a forum specifically for this type of question that has nowt to do with sailing...

Website News and Feedback I believe it's called.. even comes under the heading "the one place on this site not to talk about boats"

>"I am only interested in knowledge " ....
me too.. of a sailing/yachting/boaty type ...... if i want to read threads about computer troubles I'll trawl join a microsoft forum..

sorry for rant, too early.. shouldn't be working on a weekend..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
a few months ago mine went really slow when accessing .pl code pages, ie ebay and pbo, turned out that there was some sort of spyware on the machine, kids had been doing something. did a search on google for advice on spyware and adware, downloaded spybot and adware and ran them which made a bit of difference and then found some instructions for searching for this crud, dont ask me now what it was cause i did that much that i forget what it was called, any way deleted the file and hey presto back to normal
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Computer advice

For general stuff on computers we have a site here at IPC and set of bulletin boards that has a lot of useful stuff on it:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.web-user.co.uk/forums/>http://www.web-user.co.uk/forums/</A>

System is exactly the same as you use here, although you need to register again to post there...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
Its a excellent site, Found it a few months back.
You can ask a really daft question on it without getting slammed. and I have asked a few !..

Stu, I use Adaware and Spybot, But I also use SpywareBlaster, which is also very good,
They do however need regular up dating, I check mine every couple of days for Security updates.!

<hr width=100% size=1>

the_wanderer

Visit site
Many thanks for the info. Sorted........ Bit of a newcomer to the web and grateful for any useful information re. use. Rant? What rant.

Regards, Alan.

<hr width=100% size=1>