Ironing board?

jordanbasset

Visit site
Agreee with others, leave sheets to dry on lines strung on the boat, they have a lovely fresh feel and no wrinkles of any note. Of course you have to pick your washing day depending on weather conditions. It is surprising the amount of things you think are necessary on land you no longer care about onboard.

ChattingLil

Visit site
what I can't understand is why some people are so happy to criticise the life style choices of others.

I'm rather assuming that the OP is a adult who is capable of deciding what he does and doesn't want on his own boat. 50' is a huge boat and he will be able to keep all sorts of personal items on board that others will deem unnecessary. We, for example have proper china and glassware and choose to manage this rather than drink from plastic. I also have 4 pairs of high-heeled boots and about a dozen pairs of shoes. I even have several cocktails dresses and one or two ball gowns. The ships engineer has 3 motorcycle jackets and 2 helmets and draughtsman's board and a shisha pipe. Guess what - we also have many umbrellas AND an ironing board AND a Christmas tree!

all of this is capable of being stowed appropriately when underway, but all of this stuff makes living aboard practical and enjoyable for us while we are still working and saving up. When we decide we don't need it or use it, we will get rid.

Live and and let live I say.

BTW There is someone on my marina that also keeps a piano keyboard on board their yacht and someone else who even has a full train set! (admittedly it is a very large motor boat). :)

macd

Visit site
what I can't understand is why some people are so happy to criticise the life style choices of others.

I'm rather assuming that the OP is a adult...

BTW There is someone on my marina that also keeps a piano keyboard on board their yacht

I only saw only the gentlest of light-hearted digs. And if any subject begs for irony...

And, his being an adult, I trust he doesn't need another to make any complaints on his behalf.

Piano keyboard...pah! Ten years ago in Portugal I met a single-hander with a complete piano shoe-horned into his saloon. He was an eccentric sailor but a sublime pianist whose stated ambition was to play some concerto or other at anchor in the Aegean. He quickly got used to people taking the Mick; his acceptance of widespread praise for his playing was far more self-conscious.

Live and let live, I say, too -- although that evidently has a slightly different meaning to me than to you.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
BTW There is someone on my marina that also keeps a piano keyboard on board their yacht
Nothing difficult about stowing a piano keyboard on even such a small yacht as my 31' one. My 61-key digital keyboard goes with me on my annual migration to Italy. At less than a metre long, 30cm wide, 10cm deep and weighing only 5kg, in its padded bag stows easily under a berth. Not as suitable as the 88-key full piano version at home but still useful to place on the saloon table and practise on. Using headphones I disturb no one on moorings if any of my neighbours are on board, which is not often.

Growltiger Girl

Visit site
I use a thick towel on the dinette table. Works well and means i do not need to store any sort of ironing board. Only use it for my linen clothes which i wear when the temperature gets above mid twenties. We cruise the French inland waterways during the summer and it can get bloody hot. Linen is the best fabric for keeping you cool but it creases like buggery and really does need a press after washing.

ccscott49

Visit site
That's where ours is, hanging on the back of a door, on two cup hooks and bungee at the bottom, has worked well for the last 23 years we have lived aboard.