Irish Sea info

bergie

lille-oe.de
Inspired by the nice suggestions in the Shetland info thread, I thought to post a similar question on Irish Sea. We're currently anchored on Loch Alsh east side of Skye, and have been cruising in Western Scotland for the past month. Next month the plan is to head south, hopefully ending up somewhere around Isles of Scilly in the end of July. This gives us about a month for exploring the area around the Irish Sea.

Are there any recommendations for that area? Must-visit spots, tricky spots, etc. We're more likely to go through the North Channel than to take the Crinan Canal, though in the end that's up to the weather gods. The boat is a 31ft full-keeler, and we're generally happier anchoring out, though not completely averse to marinas or mooring balls either.

We don't have any cruising guides for the area (except for Reeds etc), and once we sail south of Antares Charts will be mostly reliant on regular sea charts (we use Orca). No Foreign Land has some suggestions, but it is a lot more sparse in the Irish Sea than here in Scotland.

wingcommander

Visit site
Belfast City( Abercorn basin ) . Walk into city centre. Bangor or Carrickfergus. Across to IOM Peel . Down to Anglesey many choices here, Back across to Dublin , Dunlogoireeeeee speel cheick? Down Irish coast.

Gail force 8 predicted today as I write this so good luck.

bergie

lille-oe.de
Belfast City( Abercorn basin ) . Walk into city centre. Bangor or Carrickfergus. Across to IOM Peel . Down to Anglesey many choices here, Back across to Dublin , Dunlogoireeeeee speel cheick? Down Irish coast.

Gail force 8 predicted today as I write this so good luck.
Anglesey might also be convenient in the sense that I have some family in the Midlands that I'd like to invite for a day sail. Any specific anchorages to recommend?

And yeah, some weather coming in for sure. Our current anchorage should be OK, though less protected from the westerly than the current southerly (which it cuts to almost zero). We'll probably reanchor tonight to so that there is a little bit less risk of getting blown onto the lobster pot we share the bay with.
6d9df86eb7589664435997b4551388a0.jpg

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
You cant avoid the North Channel whatever you do. Best way south is via the two Irelands as its sheltered from sw summer winds with often shelter by sandbanks from other winds in eire

Ratlin island, ballycastle for giants causeway, glenarm, the other bangor for belfast, dublin via howth or dunlaireagh, wickford etc then back to wales

wingcommander

Visit site
Anglesey might also be convenient in the sense that I have some family in the Midlands that I'd like to invite for a day sail. Any specific anchorages to recommend?

And yeah, some weather coming in for sure. Our current anchorage should be OK, though less protected from the westerly than the current southerly (which it cuts to almost zero). We'll probably reanchor tonight to so that there is a little bit less risk of getting blown onto the lobster pot we share the bay with.
East Side, Moelfre is really excellent holding, or tucked in around point Lynas (N/E Tip ), Loads of option in the Straits, Beaumaris usually a vacancy on a mooring or anchor in pool East of channel etc. . Or Holyhead harbour itself. Ime sure theirs other favourites , however the above are the ones I've used.

bergie

lille-oe.de
It is always a bit difficult to play storm chess in a new cruising ground.

But this way it worked great. No swell, and most of the time we had wind between zero and five knots. The only exception were a few gusts that got in when there was a slight northerly component to them.

Not easy to fit into between the lobster pots and moorings, but certainly we'll protected from S to W, and with a nice view of the castle.

Aja

Visit site

Totaig is nice but always tight depending on what has been left about.

Visit site
Inspired by the nice suggestions in the Shetland info thread, I thought to post a similar question on Irish Sea. We're currently anchored on Loch Alsh east side of Skye, and have been cruising in Western Scotland for the past month. Next month the plan is to head south, hopefully ending up somewhere around Isles of Scilly in the end of July. This gives us about a month for exploring the area around the Irish Sea.

Are there any recommendations for that area? Must-visit spots, tricky spots, etc. We're more likely to go through the North Channel than to take the Crinan Canal, though in the end that's up to the weather gods. The boat is a 31ft full-keeler, and we're generally happier anchoring out, though not completely averse to marinas or mooring balls either.

We don't have any cruising guides for the area (except for Reeds etc), and once we sail south of Antares Charts will be mostly reliant on regular sea charts (we use Orca). No Foreign Land has some suggestions, but it is a lot more sparse in the Irish Sea than here in Scotland.

If you enjoy a challenge try Fleetwood.

wingcommander

Visit site
Ah yes my beloved home port of Fleetwood. Stay to the channel, don't venture off . You made me miss.LOL

Attachments

• 20230520_163427.jpg
    20230520_163427.jpg
    909.3 KB · Views: 16

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Strangford lough worth a few days on its own. Great fun going in and out. Read the almanac!!

Isle of Man, Peel, or port st mary.
You can go up the Boyne to Drogheda, check out the saints head in the church

Howth is nice, Dublin port, Dun Laoghaire, go through Dalkey sound with the tide, Bray harbour best avoided. Greystones is good, Wicklow town (alongside the wall or up the river a little) and Arklow (moor on the yacht club pontoon in the river if there's space).

Courtown is for shoal draught boats only I beleive. The entrance dries.

Wexford might be interesting.

Rosslare does not welcome yachts since the increase in commercial traffic post Brexit.

After that Kilmore quay is the last stopoing off point before the Scillys on the west side of the Irish sea.

Supertramp

Visit site
Plenty of places to anchor for 6-18 hrs down the Irish coast but you may need to exit fast if the wind changes and they usually have some swell. If the wind is West, the Irish side is best. If it's East then Anglesey/IOM offers easier shelter.

+1 for Strangford. Good place to wait out strong winds at anchor. Getting out into moderate S/SWly winds can be character forming.

Working the tides is important, especially with a slower boat. I find it pays to study the pilot guides and tide charts to make use of eddies, get the best out of the tide, then rest and catch the next tide rather than battle on.

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Yes, working the tides is really helpful. In the North Irsh Sea tide floods south and ebbs north. In the southern section its the opposite, with slack flow in an area roughly level with Drogheda.

Look in the Almanac!!

Getting around Wicklow head and other sticky out bits against strong spring floods can be interesting in a small sailing boat.