iPlayer Film Alert: The Maggie

bedouin

Visit site
Available for another six days at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b9bxb/the-maggie

Inspired by the Para Handy stories and far better than any of the TV adaptations of them. Superb performances all round, and West Coast sailors can play "Spot the Location". A gem.
Just watched most of that (again) over a leisurely cup of after breakfast coffee - a great film indeed.

I've also got in on DVD in a box set of 16 Ealing Film Classics - cost about £30 an is a great bargain

Mark-1

Visit site
West Coast sailors can play "Spot the Location".

I watched it this morning for exactly that reason. Although everywhere seemed to look like somewhere famliar I was unable to positivey identify a single location. (Apart from what must have been the Crinian Canal.) Anyone do better and able to identify a few locations for me?

Accoring to the internet there's a Dragon Rapide in it but I missed that too.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
I knew nothing of this film, just knew a tiny bit re Clyde Puffers, and to be honest didn't see this prompt, just luckily stumbled across it; lovely film, and remarkably genuine in every way; when I saw him go through the planks I felt it might have been a real person and quite possibly the actor himself.

Not some nerd in a catsuit in front of a blue screen between computer takes portrayed as according to how some ponytailed git in Hollywood thinks we should know how it looks..:rolleyes:

I do hope this is kept in one if not several relevant museums on show or available ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I watched it this morning for exactly that reason. Although everywhere seemed to look like somewhere famliar I was unable to positivey identify a single location. (Apart from what must have been the Crinian Canal.) Anyone do better and able to identify a few locations for me?

Accoring to the internet there's a Dragon Rapide in it but I missed that too.

It was filmed on location in Glasgow, along the Crinan Canal and around Islay - Post Askaig, Port Charlotte, Bowmore and Loch Gruinard, though everywhere "outside" was given a different name. There are details at http://www.scotlandthemovie.com/movies/fmaggie.html

The Dragon Rapide is chartered by Calvin B Marshall when he's trying to find the Maggie after she leaves Crinan.

Baku

Visit site
Many thanks for the heads up JD.

Haven't seen it before and really enjoyed it.

There was an old puffer moored at Trinity Buoy Wharf opposite the Millennium Dome for many years, not sure if it's still there now.

Billjratt

Visit site
I enjoyed it too. My old man had a small part as one of the captains in the pub.
Keep well clear of the Vic32 - especially if you meet in the canal which I think is owned by the skipper.
Sorry I'll re-phrase : HE thinks he owns it...

Gordonmc

Visit site
I hadn't seen the film before.
It was interesting to see Roddy McMillan as the taxi driver... he went on to play Para Handy.
Jamieson Clark, the barman in the first pub used to give me voice training.
Was the jetty that Maggie demolished the old pier at West Loch Tarbert?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
That pier was @ Crinan, I recognised the castle across Loch Crinan, and the rock just off the sea lock. I didn't recognise anywhere else though.

Yup, it was built out from the fishing boat quay east of the sealock entrance. They must have done a fair bit of set building to make it look like a convincing village - after I saw the film for the first time I had to have a walk around Crinan to convince myself that there was actually room for a whole village there.

They reshot parts of the very last scene during the edit, and it was apparently cheaper to build a set than get everyone up to Scotland again, so if you look carefully you'll see it change from the real Port Charlotte (I think) to a set and back again.

I have a copy of the film on my tablet and we watch it on board every summer. This year I am thinking of going on a location hunt around Islay for a week, just for fun.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
A cruise round Islay looking for locations would be fun, just as an excuse to go somewhere other than Port Ellen. So much to do and see, so little time.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to sail in the Solent and only have half a dozen destinations to choose from. <g,d&r>

[448]

Visit site
Mark-1, one of the locations they berth is Bowmore. The camera pans round to show the road up the hill to the round church.
Thanks for that. I've wondered for years where that location was. I think I got everywhere else. Never been to Bowmore.
Wonderfull film even with the Yank!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks for that. I've wondered for years where that location was. I think I got everywhere else. Never been to Bowmore.
Wonderfull film even with the Yank!

Bowmore was the first place I ever went to on Islay. There was a work meeting there, so for fun I thought I would sail there, single-handed, from Crinan. On the way I passed Port Ellen and though of going in there but no, I was determined to sail all the way. Getting round the Oa was a nightmare, and I eventually arrived in Bowmore at about 7pm, exhausted, wet and thoroughly downhearted. No sign of the meeting, though, so I asked in the pub, as you do.

"It's been moved to Port Ellen", they said.