iPhone - Navonics chart plotter *only* £15

GlennG

Visit site
I have an iPhone and I installed the Navonics chart plotter program which I bought for a staggeringly low £15. I normally use a Yeoman chart plotter with paper charts, but was caught out in thick fog off of Ramsgate and needed to stay in the channel with a strong cross-tide.

Out popped the iPhone and instantly there's a chart plotter in my hand. I can't praise this application enough. It's made up my mind to install a "proper" chart plotter in the cockpit.

But £15 for the whole of the British Isles and channel from Holland to Brest. Staggering value for money. Even if you bought an iPhone specifically for this it would be a good deal!

Grab it whilst you can -- I'm sure it'll go up in price.

tomframe

Visit site
yes, I have it and used it in anger once as well - worth the money - the only problem is keeping the phone waterproof and making the screen not go to standby :)

Sailormoon

Visit site
I have an iPhone and I installed the Navonics chart plotter program which I bought for a staggeringly low £15. I normally use a Yeoman chart plotter with paper charts, but was caught out in thick fog off of Ramsgate and needed to stay in the channel with a strong cross-tide.

Out popped the iPhone and instantly there's a chart plotter in my hand. I can't praise this application enough. It's made up my mind to install a "proper" chart plotter in the cockpit.

But £15 for the whole of the British Isles and channel from Holland to Brest. Staggering value for money. Even if you bought an iPhone specifically for this it would be a good deal!

Grab it whilst you can -- I'm sure it'll go up in price.

I purchased the Navionics application in May for Med and I have just downloaded the update with which I post my tracks on facebook directly. Cool! I notice that the updates are monthly did you know that?

cambscot

www.plentymorefish.com
You can buy a 12v adapter that takes the USB cable so you can charge from a ciggy outlet on board. :)

not just that, but I use a Belkin FM transmitter with my iphone on the boat to charge it and play tunes through the ancient radio. (used to use it in the car, but the FM frequencies are too jammed on the mainland)

With navionics on it, it'll be even more useful :)

I also had an "otterbox" shockproof and splash-proof case for my "original" iPhone. I'll be looking for something similar for the 3Gs

a

matt1

Visit site
Fantastic for passage planning at work when in a dull meeting :)

I can't believe it's only £15....to my mind it is better than my Garmin plotter that cost over £300. Far more intuitive.....if only they made a nice large 17" iPhone that was waterproof :)

Sailormoon

Visit site
Fantastic for passage planning at work when in a dull meeting :)

I can't believe it's only £15....to my mind it is better than my Garmin plotter that cost over £300. Far more intuitive.....if only they made a nice large 17" iPhone that was waterproof :)

and the sharing possibility is great... you can send per email your track or post it on Facebook directly...SUPER!!!..............as well as photos ...I am sure you know this already don't you?

Channel Ribs

www.alderneymarine.com

Value for money it is without doubt a stunner, the only thing your getting with the Garmin is waterproofness built in; but a waterproof case is potentially better anyway.

A tablet Apple Mac has long been discussed, surely there has to be one on the horizon?! :D I am seeing a Macbook Air without the keyboard.

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
Iphone navionics

Sorry to be stupid, but how did you buy your navionics chart? When I visit the Navionics site I only see US dollar priced charts. The viewer is free, but which charts are you recommending and how far offshore will they work with an iphone prior to the latest gps model?

GlennG

Visit site
...how did you buy your navionics chart?

As was said, iTunes. When you have an iPhone, you need this to keep it updated and to synchronise music, backups, applications, etc. The great thing is the simplicity; go to the iTunes store (using iTunes!), then buy the application (even if it's free you need to 'buy' it). It then downloads. Once done, plug the iPhone into the computer iTunes is running on (iLappie?) and synchronise.

Sailormoon

Visit site
or even simpler - go to the App Store on the phone - search for Marine UK Holland or Navionics SPA and upload it directly.

Those iPhone junkies out there will have an iTunes account already set up so no need for credit cards etc - perfect for when you are in the fog on Gunfleet Sands!

..and each time an update is available it overwrites the old appl. In the current version of Navionics you can share on Facebook your pictures, tracks... SUPER! I noticed that they update the appl monthly am I right?