Inverter Question

MarieK

Visit site
I have a tv aboard which runs off 240v and 12v. At present I dont have it wired for 12v supply I just use shore power when in marina and the inverter when at sea.

My question is does the tv draw more amps when running off the inverter than it would if directly connected to the 12v supply?

DAKA

Visit site
My 240 volt TV / DVD (normal household type)came with a 12 volt transformer, even when it was plugged into 240 v it was only using the 12 volt.

I have direct wired it to the boats 12 to 13.5 volt (through a trip).
Even when we are plugged into 240 volt it runs off 12v.

I checked here for advice first, and the forum was right , it has been in a year without any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MarieK

Visit site
DAKA mine is exactly the same - I just havent wired it directly in yet for fear of a surge or something damaging it. Will rig it with a trip and keep my 10%!

MapisM

Visit site
Go ahead, that's the smarter way of connecting an onboard TV imho.
I did the same, and I was also a bit concerned because 12V onboard actually means anywhere between 12 and 14+.
Therefore, I thought about fitting a regulator, but considering the (low) cost of the TV I decided to take my chances.
Running flawlessly for almost 5 years now, touch wood.
Apropos, fancy an as new transformer, anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif