Intro to racing...

[178529]

Visit site
[I suggest there is a third, “Sail the correct course” in my experience many races have been lost simply due to not sailing the course correctly! Read the Sailing Instructions and Course carefully and make sure you understand, ask if unsure of any details.
True. When I had a Sonata I just used to follow the fleet around the bouys. When I first raced my malbec 24 I found myself in the unusual position of leading and shouting to my crew to find Holliwell buoy on the chart.

kacecar

Visit site
You've got a boat , you've got your own sailing gear and you've sailed before - that's a very good start.

First, join a club that does some racing, ideally with a cruiser class (boats like your Twister), and volunteer as crew. Do a few races and learn as you go - in particular, learn about the rules around avoiding collisions (the circumstances in which Boat A should give way to Boat B) and the start procedures. There's lots more to learn but if you are clear about those two you should be able to participate without putting your and your fellow competitors' boats at risk, and without losing sight of the fleet before the first mark.

After a few races on someone else's boat, a careful study of the rules of racing and any local regulations, and once you feel sufficiently confident, enter a race as skipper of your own boat. Try and get a handicap from the organisers that doesn't include use of a spinnaker or cruising chute (and even if you can't get the handicap, don't plan to use them, not for your first few races at least). Don't bother doing any special boat preparation at this stage. Get a crew sorted. As others have already suggested, try to get a reasonably experienced race skipper to join you on-board for your first few races - you'll learn faster with them around, (but resist any pressure to do things you're not comfortable with - you'll be participating at this stage, not yet competing). If you can't find an experienced racer to join you, no matter - just plan to hang back a bit at the first few starts, until you are comfortable manoeuvring in relatively close proximity to other boats (when racing, other boats are sometimes very close).

When the first race-day comes, you alone decide whether or not the conditions are suitable for you to race - probably best not to do your early races in strong or even fresh winds. Plan to be out there, sailing and ready sometime before the start (you might be surprised how long it takes to get there). Aim to start the race bang on the right time but just slightly behind the main bunch - you won't get in their way and they won't be bothering you. Then race, enjoy, and improve. Initially, focus on: starting on time, sailing the correct course, avoiding rushed manoeuvres (it might not feel like it but they'll lose you time) and not letting excitement lead to over-loading the gear.

After a few races the competitive side to your character will be plain to yourself and your crew (please keep the urge to shout under control). At that point, you'll know what you need to do next.

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
In which case CYC run white sails races..
Both persuit..(where boats stagger the start times according to their handicap and should all finish at the same time) The results are simply who is in front of who at the end.
and normal... where everyone starts at the same time and their elapsed time is counted then adjusted by their handicap to work out corrected time.

Persuit racing is probably the best for a beginner, because you don’t have to get mixed up with other boats at the. start... and you can see the course by following the boats in front.

Leighb

Visit site
In which case CYC run white sails races..
Both persuit..(where boats stagger the start times according to their handicap and should all finish at the same time) The results are simply who is in front of who at the end.
and normal... where everyone starts at the same time and their elapsed time is counted then adjusted by their handicap to work out corrected time.

Persuit racing is probably the best for a beginner, because you don’t have to get mixed up with other boats at the. start... and you can see the course by following the boats in front.
Unless you are the scratch boat.?

johnalison

Visit site
Be prepared for the unexpected. We did a race with the MLSC round the Thirslet buoy, only to find that the Dabchicks were racing round the same buoy in the opposite direction. There is no point in making good resolutions. We acquired a spinnaker on our 26- footer and put it up once in next to no wind. The following week we did a race and resolved only to use the spinnaker if it was light. In the event we had a running start from Osea in an F5. Everyone else had a spinnaker up, so what the hell? if racing you have to go for it.

Leighb

Visit site
Be prepared for the unexpected. We did a race with the MLSC round the Thirslet buoy, only to find that the Dabchicks were racing round the same buoy in the opposite direction. There is no point in making good resolutions. We acquired a spinnaker on our 26- footer and put it up once in next to no wind. The following week we did a race and resolved only to use the spinnaker if it was light. In the event we had a running start from Osea in an F5. Everyone else had a spinnaker up, so what the hell? if racing you have to go for it.
Always very exciting when you find another class is doing that, you might have rights, but sometimes discretion is wise, especially if they are heavier and/or faster than you.?

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
To add to the excellent advice, I'd suggest taking an experienced hand to look after main sheet and tactics. He/she can tell you what other boats are doing around you and whether you're going to weather the next mark.... This leaves you free to sail the boat without having to constantly look around you.

Also don't be reluctant to protest a boat. There are bullies in all sports and newcomers can sometimes be slow to defend their rights. The more forceful will soon realise you're not for turning!

Lastly have fun! It's the best way to learn about the boat, your crew and yourself.