Internet Speed

G

Not eactly a yachty subject but.......is it me, or my computer (relatively young in PC terms (sorry, personal computer terms)) or is it the net? It seems to have become so slow!!!! Even at strange times of night it takes an age to connect, retrieve emails or post responses in forums. I've almost begun to think that the surest way to a fortune is to sell advertising on the blank screen that so often stares at me when the machine is searching for a thread or a response. Not that the advertising would catch my attention....I'm away boiling the kettle. Seriously, are you all finding this or do I need a new processor or a whiz kid to fix the present one?

p.s. It took 35 seconds for the preview message box to come up when I checked this message!!!

G

I've found much the same. However, I find that if I disconnect and reconnect again straight away, second time round the speed is much better. I'm sure some techy nerd will give us all an in depth explanation that will enlighten us, if we can stay awake long enough, but the "second time round job", works for me.

G

Service Provider Bandwidth and Modem Speed

I use Pipex as a service provider and a BT landline. My average YMBB download time is about 9 seconds* at any time of day or night. The download time of postings is less than 2 seconds.

Notes : If I switch off graphics and make it a text only download the initial download is about 3 seconds (IE6(beta); a V90 Modem which seems to grab info at about 48000 bps)

It would be interesting to compare service providers for YMBB/PBO/YW etc download times as they appear to be the slowest of the major sailing BB's. Check out the best of the majors : Cruising world BB at :

http://www.cruisingworld.com/forums/genlmesg/

There is a beta BB which outshines them all both in download times and qualification of entry.

Cheers,

NigeCh

G

Colin,,I have found exactly the same thing,,if I reconnect a second time the machine seems to work "faster"

G

Re: Service Provider Bandwidth and Modem Speed

Try deleting your Temp files and internet temp files.

G

Seconded.

Get rid of all the crap.

Cookies too, start afresh and you will be motoring (for a while).

G

There are several parts to this.

Firstly the line between your computer and the local telephone exchange. The quality and length of this line will determine the modem speed. There is usually an icon at the bottom of the screen that will show the line speed at which your modem is working.

If this is below about 35000 bps you will have very slow working.

I am about 4 miles from my exchange and the best line speed I can achieve is 38667 bps

Sadly theres not much you can do about it. A second connection may prove better as the adaptive equalzers in your modem set themselves up to a slightly different set of parameters.

If you are a long way from the exchange more than say 2 miles, you are stuck. If you are close you could try complaining to BT but since they say that the only specification for lines is to work for telephony there is little you can make them do.

The second problem is the speed of processing in your computer which will be improved by removing the files mentioned above and by making sure you do not have any unnecessary applications running with your browser.

Thirdly there is congestion, within the network, your ISP or the site to which you are trying to connect.

Again there is little that can be done. If you have a particular problem with one site it may be worth complaining to the site manager, particularly with secure sites as firewalls can slow things down considerably.

If slow running is with many sites it could be that your ISP is squeezing the network a bit too much and voting with your mouse may be worth a try.

Sorry I cannot be more positive but they don't call it the World Wide Wait for nothing.

G

A mate of mine showed me how to 'defrag' my system which I had not done since I bought it three years ago. It took hours to check out the C drive so many errors had built up but everything worked much faster afterwards. Now 'defragging' only takes about 20 mins and I do it once a week. Check your 'system tools box'.