Internet radio

byron

RIP
Visit site
Anyone here got experience of these? I have DAB but quite frankly it aint what its cracked up to be unless you are in a good reception area. I Like the idea of being to access the thousands of stations available on my PC. All those talk and comedy channels, police, fire and even airports.
One question that immediately springs to mind is how much it eats into your download allowance.

MapisM

Visit site
Works just fine.
You'd rather want to have a flat rate provider, though, and also a decent bandwith.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Danger Thread Drift

You're in the Oxford area, so Freeview should be good there. Most folk aren't aware that there are scads of radio channels and Freeview as well as the pictures.

If not Palazzo Alexander should be able to see 28.2 deg S of E (sorry that's the way landlubbers do it) and there are even more (all free) radio channels on the -ahem- Sky system.

I have several digiboxes bought of Ebay hooked into my HiFis and we get crystal clear reception. Can't say if it's better than the old steam FM as we live in a fringe area and it was always hissy.

'Twasn't the question you asked but it might be helpful and of interest to others

ps found this on The Lounge
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1614438/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

pheran

Visit site
Re: Danger Thread Drift

Feeling really really pedantic this morning so...............the Astra satellite is at 28.2
East of South, not S of E /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site

I have Sky, Freeview and DAB. The plain fact is none compete with the vast range of radio stations on the PC. Cops, Air, Comedy, Vintage et al. Music doesn't move me since the Big Bopper died /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oldgit

Visit site

Have just bought a LogikIR100 from PCworld.£40.00.Most stuff seems to be at
32K or 96K with a few at 128k.Has not affected my weedy half meg broadband connection when radio is being used at same time.Great fun with zillions of stations all round the world to listen to.
Am going to get lead made up to connect internet radio to my hi-fi.

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Have just bought a LogikIR100 from PCworld.£40.00.Most stuff seems to be at
32K or 96K with a few at 128k.Has not affected my weedy half meg broadband connection when radio is being used at same time.Great fun with zillions of stations all round the world to listen to.
Am going to get lead made up to connect internet radio to my hi-fi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the same one, I just bought from same place too. Cheapest on the market by miles and good write-ups on performance.
It isn't the connection speed that concerns me, it is the download allowance(s), do these units seriously affect this or not.

BrendanS

Visit site

anything that uses bandwidth is going to eat into your allowance. So it depends on how much bandwith you have, and when you are allowed to use it.

oldgit

Visit site

It has its very own website where all its little faults (mains hum etc)are discussed in great detail and even some hacks ?
You can move its internal aerial to improve range/sensitivity apparently.

http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm

Had fun this evening listening to stuff from central Africa,most countries seem able to boast at least one radio station each.
Have found a couple of stations with 192K and plugged the whole shebang into my Linn,not exactly BBC R3 but not bad.

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
It has its very own website where all its little faults (mains hum etc)are discussed in great detail and even some hacks ?
You can move its internal aerial to improve range/sensitivity apparently.

http://logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm

Had fun this evening listening to stuff from central Africa,most countries seem able to boast at least one radio station each.
Have found a couple of stations with 192K and plugged the whole shebang into my Linn,not exactly BBC R3 but not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Finally got mine up and running. Located several comedy channels and chat ones. Also Police and Air Traffic Control.
You know you don't just have the 5 pre-sets? You can register with Reciva and add stations which then appear on your dial as a seperate heading. I've put some wierdo stuff there like continual Goon Shows and really fierce chat shows.

oldgit

Visit site
Most interesting gadget to come along in ages.

"You can register with Reciva"

Preset upgrade,presume you go to their website...........?

Elessar

Visit site

dunno the figures but audio uses tiny amounts compared with video or lots of pictures, doubt it makes a huge difference to your allowance. (supposition only I'm afraid try it and see or maybe someone really knows,)

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Most interesting gadget to come along in ages.

just go to the Reciva Website and register your radio. This is done by entering two numbers available on your radio these are gained by....
Select the CONFIGURE menu, select VERSION, select SERIAL NUMBER. this probably starts '0000*****'
Then get the registration code. To do this select CONFIGURE and select REGISTER this number will look something like '663831C'.
Go to the RECIVA site and enter the two numbers in the boxes shown.
You are ready to go. All you do then is review and listen to various stations on your PC. Those you want you store with the button shown.
As if by magic on your radio there's now another channel called 'MY STUFF' and they are all there ready for use.
ENJOY! I have New York City Police, Chicago Air Control, comedy channels and all sorts now at my finger tips. The beauty is you do it all on your PC in comfort.