Internet connections aboard - via satellite

G

PBO had an article this month about connecting to the Internet from a boat. They showed some of the methods (and problems!) of connecting with a mobile phone, which is obviously only of limited use offshore.

What about satellite and packet radio connections? It might sound like a frivolous question, but as a programmer, I could work from literally anywhere - if I had a reliable connection, thereby making my liveaboard dreams come a little closer.

Any info about different setups, prices, speeds, power consumption etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Lost in Denmark - a yachtsmans paradise!

G

There are a number of ways to connest via satillite to the internet at the moement but most are still slow in terms of speed.!!! This is unless you want to pay for the high speed data via inmarsat which runs at 64KBITS/SEC but the cost is approx $6.50c per min.
If you can handle 2.4K then the cheapest is Iridium at $1.50c per min. the equipment is hand held and boat kits are also availible. There is also Globalstar but the price structure is complicated and charges vary from area to area.
If you need advice then I suggest you talk to Maritime Systems in Great Yarmouth who sell All types of data systems and sat phones. Try 44 (01493) 442905.

G

Thanks - what about packet radio?

Boatman

Visit site
I am not sure but I think the only good connections are on the HAM radion bands and they don't allow business related transfers. The other problem is that you need a good stong signal and for large data transfers that's somewhat difficult.

G

Are they really that strict about the business-related stuff?

G

Richard,
They are that strict about data transfer as it forms part of the conditions of liecence. Apart from that the data rate on the HF bands is slow due to the fact of the bandwidth availible. Most of the Packet radio at higher speeds is on VHF or UHF and then you get the problem of range. IE the horrizion or just beyond.

If you want to use just data thier is an OEM data modem availible for Globalstar satilitte system from Qualcomm but even this is down at 9600bits/sec. and you are back to the cost of the system again.
If someone had done it cheaply the world who have it !!!!