International Gelshield 200

iainmillett

Visit site
My boatyard has advised me to apply 1 coat at the start and end of each day to make 6 coats in all over 3 dry days. They say that each coat of epoxy must be applied when the previous coat is still tacky.

With Gelshield will there be any problem if one coat dries out before a further coat is applied? I am also told by the boatyard to apply the initial antifoul when the epoxy is still 'tacky'.

The surveyor has checked the hull of my boat and confirmed that it is between 4 and 5 and well dry enough for epoxying.!

VicS

Visit site
I suggest you refer to International's data sheet and follow that rather than anything else Here

They say 5 coats with between 5 hours and 6 months between coats at 15C (If the maximum time is exceed then sand it with 180 or 220 grade paper) At 15C it is touch dry in 2hours. That does not seem to be a question of applying the next coat while the previous is still tacky!

Times are also given for applying antifouling paints. 5 hours to 9 hours as far as I can see.

But read it all for yourself.

graham

Visit site
Use alternate colours (grey and green) for each succesive coat so you can see the bits you missed. Foam rollers are good for putting it on but dont last long in the epoxy so have plenty of spare roller heads.

Leighb

Visit site
There is a very clear article on the Gelshield process in PBO May 08.

Goes through the whole process from start to finish with pictures. It says you can apply 2 coats a day, but also that you can leave it up to 6 months between coats without any need to re-key the surface.
The only exception is that the antifouling must go on the same day as the last coat of Gelshield.

Worth reading if you are considering going down this route.

Pasarell

Visit site
Sensible advice from VicS to look at the International website. I think he meant hours between coats, not months though!
Gelshield 200 is solvent based so you won't want to put wet on tacky or it will blister. Wet on tacky only applies to the solvent free Gelshield
Good luck. A straightforward job if you follow the instructions

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think he meant hours between coats, not months though!

[/ QUOTE ] No at 15C minimum time between coats is 5 hours, maximum is 6mths. (Minimum varies with temperature.)

If you click the link you'll see!

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Just a note to encourage you - it's not a difficult process and we've been delighted with the quality of finish for application of the a/f. We're three seasons on from doing ours and adhesion is excellent. We were lucky and got all six coats on over an Easter weekend and were blessed with fine weather. By the time you've put two coats of a/f over the top so all together you're up to eight coats total you know the shape of your hull very well indeed!

rob

iainmillett

Visit site
Most helpful - the marina has misled me into thinking I had to complete the task in 3 dry days. I now have the product information which seems fairly straightforward.