Interior woodwork Southerly

pandos

Visit site
My new to me boat was left get wet internally at some stage, this caused extensive blackould growth.

Some of this has penetrated the varnish and I think some was varnished over...

In any case I will need to sand and refinish much of the furniture.

The basic solid wood is iroko. But has been stained a much more pleasant lighter colour, does anyone know what the original materials /process was?

(I can ask on the southerly owners site but I suspect not much activity there)

Concerto

Visit site
Firstly I doubt that the wood is finished with varnish as lacquer is usually used as it dries quickly and is not sticky, plus multiple coats can be applied in a day.

Strip the finish off by using a chisel as a scapper. Use a small diamond sharpening wheel to grind the edge and do not remove the back burr. The burr works like a cabinet scrapper. Keep an eye on the colour of the dust. A creamy white if the lacquer, stop when it becomes a brown colour. Check all the finish has been removed by wiping out with a damp cloth. If the water does not penetrate the wood, there is still some finish there. Once the wood is clean, brush it with cheap supermarket bleach diluted with 4 part of water. Leave on for about 15 to 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat this until you are happy with the colour of the wood.

The iroko cannot be stained lighter, only darker. It becomes lighter with extended exposure to light. If you sand the wood it will go darker. This is quite normal.

You may find this presentation I gave to the Westerly Owners Association worth looking at it.

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/images/2/25/Interior_Woodwork_Concerto_PowerPoint.pdf

pandos

Visit site
Firstly I doubt that the wood is finished with varnish as lacquer is usually used as it dries quickly and is not sticky, plus multiple coats can be applied in a day.

Strip the finish off by using a chisel as a scapper. Use a small diamond sharpening wheel to grind the edge and do not remove the back burr. The burr works like a cabinet scrapper. Keep an eye on the colour of the dust. A creamy white if the lacquer, stop when it becomes a brown colour. Check all the finish has been removed by wiping out with a damp cloth. If the water does not penetrate the wood, there is still some finish there. Once the wood is clean, brush it with cheap supermarket bleach diluted with 4 part of water. Leave on for about 15 to 20 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat this until you are happy with the colour of the wood.

The iroko cannot be stained lighter, only darker. It becomes lighter with extended exposure to light. If you sand the wood it will go darker. This is quite normal.

You may find this presentation I gave to the Westerly Owners Association worth looking at it.

https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/images/2/25/Interior_Woodwork_Concerto_PowerPoint.pdf
Thanks for that, very interesting...I worked in furniture in the 80s and I have a memory that we had a yellow stain that lightened teak (iroko).

I have a notion it was actually an oak stain..I'll be meeting my boss from that time in a few days and I'll ask him.

(There is varnish on the bulkheads and the sole, as it was still wet the day I saw the boat, and the can was still onboard....)