Intellian sat receiver

bluetooth

Visit site
My Antenna Control Unit is struggling to keep track of the Astra satellite. Noticed it a few months ago when briefly checked the systems.
Are there any known tracking issues at the moment?
Else anyone know of suitable people to look at the unit. It's about 10 years old now, installed by previous owner so maybe needs service or overhaul, or maybe you folks may have some thoughts?
The previous owner did warn me of resetting it hence this thread, though clearly some action is needed.
It does show some channels before retracking again.
Cheers All

Hurricane

Visit site
It sounds like you need to retune the box to the satellite you are trying to track.
I assume you are in the UK - if so, that will be Astra 2 frequencies.
There are four frequencies to tune - a high and a low band and horizontal/vertical for each.
Choose a footprint/frequencies that cover your area.
Use something like LyngSat to find the frequencies/footprints.
I takes a while to get your head round it.
I suggest that you check which ones you are using at the moment and see if they should be strong enough.

Also, does your system get its position from the boat's GPS or is it manually coded into the Intellian controller.
If it gets it's position from GPS, maybe switch on your Nav system.
Position doesn't have to be perfectly accurate so a manual input should be fine.

bluetooth

Visit site
It sounds like you need to retune the box to the satellite you are trying to track.
I assume you are in the UK - if so, that will be Astra 2 frequencies.
There are four frequencies to tune - a high and a low band and horizontal/vertical for each.
Choose a footprint/frequencies that cover your area.
Use something like LyngSat to find the frequencies/footprints.
I takes a while to get your head round it.
I suggest that you check which ones you are using at the moment and see if they should be strong enough.

Also, does your system get its position from the boat's GPS or is it manually coded into the Intellian controller.
If it gets it's position from GPS, maybe switch on your Nav system.
Position doesn't have to be perfectly accurate so a manual input should be fine.
Thx for this.
I'll start with the GPS, haven't had chartplotter on so maybe it's a simple fix.
Cheers

Teddy

Visit site
My Antenna Control Unit is struggling to keep track of the Astra satellite. Noticed it a few months ago when briefly checked the systems.
Are there any known tracking issues at the moment?
Else anyone know of suitable people to look at the unit. It's about 10 years old now, installed by previous owner so maybe needs service or overhaul, or maybe you folks may have some thoughts?
The previous owner did warn me of resetting it hence this thread, though clearly some action is needed.
It does show some channels before retracking again.
Cheers All
Hi bluetooth,

Did you get anywhere with your tracking issue? My I1 is doing exactly the same this year, whereas last year it was working fine.

My dish searches and then points to Astra 2, sometimes locks on for a few seconds, says that it is tracking and then searches again, losing the satellite. If I am quick enough to switch off the unit at the correct time everything is ok (until the boat moves).

From the signal strength shown on my Humax box it indicates that the lnb output is good, it is just the tracking that is faulty. Any ideas anyone?

bluetooth

Visit site
Hi bluetooth,

Did you get anywhere with your tracking issue? My I1 is doing exactly the same this year, whereas last year it was working fine.

My dish searches and then points to Astra 2, sometimes locks on for a few seconds, says that it is tracking and then searches again, losing the satellite. If I am quick enough to switch off the unit at the correct time everything is ok (until the boat moves).

From the signal strength shown on my Humax box it indicates that the lnb output is good, it is just the tracking that is faulty. Any ideas anyone?
That's a coincidence. I've an engineer coming to me in 10 mins to look at unit. I got through to intellian a few weeks ago who told me how to run a diagnostic test. 3 error codes came up so they advised professional assessment. Hopefully the engineer will establish the cause and I'll report back.

Teddy

Visit site
That's a coincidence. I've an engineer coming to me in 10 mins to look at unit. I got through to intellian a few weeks ago who told me how to run a diagnostic test. 3 error codes came up so they advised professional assessment. Hopefully the engineer will establish the cause and I'll report back.
Hi bluetooth,

How did you get on?

I am in contact with Support and they have suggested the following :-

"Please try to load the region settings according to your current location and see if tracking gets stable."

This I have yet to try. They also said :-

"Do you have available lan cable or usb to usb cable to check the system with your laptop?
If yes, could you please arrange a remote access(team viewer) for us to check the system?
Share with us the log in credentials once available"

So, support are being constructive. I now need to obtain a serial port to usb cable and perhaps give it a go.
As a matter of interest, how did you perform the diagnostic checks?

bluetooth

Visit site
Hi bluetooth,

How did you get on?

I am in contact with Support and they have suggested the following :-

"Please try to load the region settings according to your current location and see if tracking gets stable."

This I have yet to try. They also said :-

"Do you have available lan cable or usb to usb cable to check the system with your laptop?
If yes, could you please arrange a remote access(team viewer) for us to check the system?
Share with us the log in credentials once available"

So, support are being constructive. I now need to obtain a serial port to usb cable and perhaps give it a go.
As a matter of interest, how
So success at last.

I had the same message from intellian but was more comfortable with finding a professional to come and assess and hopefully fix properly. Was quoted 300£ though.

Took boat to Swanwick so that the company could work on it.
Engineer tested the ACU unit and the sat dish and all good. He plugged in his computers and updated software and various parameters and found that the original install was, well not entirely professional. Splitters used where they shouldn't, the wrong cables had been spliced together, the TV tuned incorrectly to wrong satellite setting!!!

Anyway he overcame most of that, advised what cables I can change in the future, I can remove the splitter as involves removing wall panel section [is designed to be accessed] to access. Result is I now have 100s channels without a need for separate feesat boamlnd i know the hardware is all sound as I qas fearing the worse at one point. I've also learnt that in about 5-6 years they expect sat TV dishes to go and be replaced by sat Internet which then provides onboard TV by internet. So maybe my set up has 10 yrs

I'll post the frequencies he used but overall I feel its been worthwhile getting professional fix. I spent a lot of time on it and there was helpful advice but sometimes just needs the pros in.

Hope this helps

Teddy

Visit site
So success at last.

I had the same message from intellian but was more comfortable with finding a professional to come and assess and hopefully fix properly. Was quoted 300£ though.

Took boat to Swanwick so that the company could work on it.
Engineer tested the ACU unit and the sat dish and all good. He plugged in his computers and updated software and various parameters and found that the original install was, well not entirely professional. Splitters used where they shouldn't, the wrong cables had been spliced together, the TV tuned incorrectly to wrong satellite setting!!!

Anyway he overcame most of that, advised what cables I can change in the future, I can remove the splitter as involves removing wall panel section [is designed to be accessed] to access. Result is I now have 100s channels without a need for separate feesat boamlnd i know the hardware is all sound as I qas fearing the worse at one point. I've also learnt that in about 5-6 years they expect sat TV dishes to go and be replaced by sat Internet which then provides onboard TV by internet. So maybe my set up has 10 yrs

I'll post the frequencies he used but overall I feel its been worthwhile getting professional fix. I spent a lot of time on it and there was helpful advice but sometimes just needs the pros in.

Hope this helps
Thanks bluetooth,

I installed mine and definitely did not splice or use splitters. Perhaps hopefully mine might sort itself out if the settings are played with.
It would be of interest to see any frequencies used so that I can compare.