insurance: named skipper?

chubby

www.flickr.com
What are the general rules about boat insurance: is the boat covered or does it depend on the skipper: my 20 year old daughter is champing at the bit to take the family boat out herself with sailing friends, she is very competent having sailed with me since birth and can easily handle our boat, and has various dinghy intructors tickets and powerboat level 2 and done yachtmaster theory and crewed on a Biscay crossing which she keeps reminding me when I say I have crossed the bay, I say Hayling she says Biscay!!!!. I had in mind day trips in the eastern solent midweek when less traffic and within defined weather criteria, eg F4 or less and not strong wind warnings and anchoring to avoid maneovering in marinas. Would we be covered, do we need to tell the insurers and have forumites been charged extra premium and how much. We are insured with the company related to a certain elderly round the world sailor but I don`t like to contact them too often in case it reminds them that we have an elderly boat and they haven`t recently asked for a survey!!!

Rob_Webb

Visit site
A little while ago I lent my boat to an (experienced) friend. I asked my ins co and they said fine, if it's with your permission. After all your daughter could have her own own boat and insurance policy herself. Safest thing would be to ring them but if you are reluctant then try ploughing through the policy docs to see if there is anything said about use by another person or any age restrictions e.g. not under 25.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
Insurance companies will look at your contract if you have a claim and try to reduce their costs.
If your daughter or anyone else is going to skipper the boat tell them either by regisered letter as suggested or by letter asking for confirmation thats better as they will either agree or not

As for the survey on an old boat your contract may say it has to be done yearly and its up to you to do it of not the insurance may be void

Always be very clear and demand clear confimation

Marsupial

Visit site
Chubby,

Its covered in that mysterious phrase that you will hear and see many times when dealing with insurance companies, "material facts".

As other posters have written when you change the way you do things or the equipment you do it with or the place or mode of storage you need to tell the insurers - in case THEY think its a material fact.

If you have a claim and you havn't told them bet your life it WILL be a material fact and your insurance will be void.

For example I need to tell my insurers if the boat spends a night ashore, as I understand it if I dont its not covered for theft of contents or deck gear. - but other risks are covered.

My reward for keeping them informed? I did have a claim in 2000 and the cheque arrived by return.

Jezlyn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For example I need to tell my insurers if the boat spends a night ashore, as I understand it if I dont its not covered for theft of contents or deck gear. - but other risks are covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go aground, and have to wait for the next tide to float off, does that count as the boat "spending the night ashore"?