Insurance for Round the Island Race

Higster

Visit site
I am not a regular racer and as such do not have 'racing' cover on my annual insurance policy as it would more than double the premium. However I will be taking part in the Round the Island Race this year, so am looking for advice on how to get cover just for the one race.

Higster

Visit site
Thanks Tranona, but I already tried that and they do not provide short term cover.

Last edited:

bdh198

Visit site
Which insurance company are you with?

We're with GJW Direct and like you we only "race" the boat during the Round the Island race. We therefore do not normally need specific racing insurance cover, and just have their standard yacht insurance. As part of this standard cover they will provide a basic level of cover for the Round the Island race which essentially includes third party bumps. It does not include damage to our mast, spars, sails and rigging. However, they will let us upgrade our cover specifically for the race to include cover for those items up to a maximum of two thirds of the combined costs of replacing those items.

bignick

Visit site
My insurance covers "local club level racing". As the RTI isn't covered by this I had to ring my insurer and add cover for the event, which they were happy to do (I think it cost about £30-40 extra). As others have said, I would suggest changing your insurer if they are unwilling to do this.

PurpleKate

Visit site
I used to be with Navigators and General and they added RTI race for free, though wouldn't cover me for RORC racing. I'm now with Pantaenius who have racing in their standard policy.