Insurance Dover/Calais

G

I plan on taking my 20' Signet through the French canals.I can trail via ferry but then have vehicle plus trailer park in France. My insurance cover is OK for UK coast plus French canals but not the channel crossing it'self. Any solutions? ie. special cover just for one day??

G

I have just arranged additional cover to my current policy for my 21' sailing boat to cross the channel through Hogg Knox Johnston.

I have specified a cruising range. They were not keen initially as they did not feel such a small boat could cross the channel, but have now agreed that my having a yachtmasters ticket is sufficient experience! Also I saw in yachting monthly about a year ago the same class of boat as mine (Cox 21) crossed the atlantic!

Otherwise try the RYA website for other insurers.

Have a good trip

G

Peter thanks for the tip. Signets have also crossed the Atlantic plus San Fransisco to Hawie ( if that's the way it is spelt). They may not have been insured though.

G

The issues are clear. You either take a chance for the one trip - you don't want to have this to worry about as well as the ferries etdc, do you? OR you phone your insurance broker / co and I bet you will be surprised how little the added premium is for what you have in mind - by far the best approach.

Peter GIbbs