Insurance documents in France

johndf

Visit site
I'm about to leave for three weeks in Brittany and my new insurance documentation has not yet arrived, although I've had verbal confirmation that I am insured. Is there a legal requirement in France to have a valid certificate of insurance?

Gunfleet

Visit site
I agree. When I used to live in France - before the EU - the embassy in Paris used to keep drawers full of big inkstamps. You take your form, they apply about twenty different stamps, the average douanier retreats. I asked them, what's that about and the guy at the embassy said, French officials love em. You have no piece of paper, they give you a hard time. Show them a piece of paper, preferably stamped lu et approve, signe et avoue devant moi. You'll never hear from them again. It's a mentality thing.

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Sorry to be pedantic...

...but fax copy may not be good enough. Get them to mail you a genuine piece of paper with original signature on letterhead or the like if the actual policy not there. Same applies to all your boat docs (for example, by all means take photocopies for back-up but original registration et al essential).

It's a pain beforehand but you'll be more relaxed knowing they are in your locker. And sod's law guarantees if you have them you'll never need to show them!

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

johndf

Visit site
Re: Sorry to be pedantic...

Thanks again for the further advice - I'm hoping it will arrive in the post tomorrow morning. If not, I'll have to decide whether or not to risk it with a fax copy.

davidhand

Visit site
Why do you have to have insurance? Surely thats a personal choice. Have the bureocrats taken over again? If you aint got nothin you got nothin to loose, if you got a lot you hire a lawyer, your choice. Does the Royal Navy show documents? Does the US Navy show documents? Does the US Enterprise declare how many nukes it has on board? Then why should I declare my handguns, or shotguns. I fly the same flag as the Enterprise, the military serves the people not the other way around.

ccscott49

Visit site
Its the third party liability they are interested in, if you damage somebody/property, they want to know you have adequate backup to pay for the damage injury, it's just the same as third party liability for a car, a legal requirement in Europe for boats. Plus of course the marinas don't want a liability claim against them, iof you don't have any insurance, sensible really. By the way, store your documents in a waterproof ziloc bag, it's safer.

Gunfleet

Visit site
If you want to know the trouble that's caused by turning up in the US without the right documents you have only to read the relevant bits of au grand large by Eric Tabarly. THey confined him to his yacht when he'd just won the OSTAR. Only a dinner invitation from the American president convinced the authorities to let him off his boat.

brian_neale

Visit site
Cannot believe that the USS Enterprise turns up unexpectedly in Cherbourg and asks for a berth for the night - bet there was plenty of paperwork done in advance of any visit!

Compared with the arrival rules at the average US airport ("cross the yellow line and we'll shoot you - have a nice day!"), France is pretty relaxed. Mind you, if they find any unauthorised bang-bang toys on board, your boat may go the way of the Rainbow Warrior...