insulating heating ducting pipes

firstascent2002

Visit site
Hi guys,

My little hustler has a wallas 1800 sail paraffin heater which has two outlets. I have blanked one of these off as I only need to run one pipe through into the cabin. The distance is 3.5 M roughly. The air that comes out is warm but not really hot and as such the heater only really takes the edge off my tiny saloon.

I have looked at getting ducting insulation (£15 for 75cm via e bay from a fellow in Turkey who proved really good for all the ducting and vents), but before I spend that, has anyone used anything cheap and chearful to insulate the ducts? I was thinking about wrapping a hot water tank jacket around it?

Any bright ideas?

J

Plevier

Visit site
I fitted the incredibly expensive press stud attached Thinsulate stuf that I think you are referring to,
like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80MM-THERMODU...essories_SM&hash=item5addf38692#ht_2234wt_905 on a friend's boat. I wasn't impressed. It gapes open at the join and between sections especially if the pipe run is even slightly curved.
I'm pondering the same question for my Webasto.
Roof insulation is bulky and what would you wrap it with? You can get it ready clad in plastic but would that melt?
What about wrapping the old fashioned spirally wound felt round it, with a bit of overlap between turns, would that be safe?

firstascent2002

Visit site
yas, it is the stuff I was looking at, and yes, meltimg plastic is my concern. Getting roof insulation on and holding it with duck tape is certainly an idea but I imagine a nightmare to do, I think I might remove the ducting to try and put it on ...

davidwf

Visit site

captainboo

Visit site
Insulating Ducting

A friend used this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-laminated-aluminium-silver-10m-x-102mm-ducting-hose/90765#.

He pulled the inner plastic ducting out and fed it over the heater ducting and then secured where required with ty-wraps. It is 100mm internal diameter but will easily squash smaller if required. Works well in that he cannot hold his hand at the furthest outlet for too long!

Comes in 10m lengths but you could probably split the cost between others!

Plevier

Visit site
I recently used some Armaflex, it was to insulate and provide some protection against damage, not as easy to wprk with as thinsulate and I think you may have to watch temeratures if its close to the heater. In my case the area I put the Armaflex on was about a metre from the heater and I have had no issues with it.

http://www.pipelagging.com/pipe-insulation-60mm-bore-armaflex-13mm-wall-class-tube-p-149.html

I had wondered about that stuff.
It says max temp 105 deg C. Anyone know if there is any danger of exceeding that with an Eber or Webasto? I wouldn't have thought so.

V1701

Visit site
I used a couple of layers of foil-backed bubblewrap from B&Q held on with cable ties and cut up an old fire blanket into strips with which I bandaged the really hot bit next to the heater itself. Cheap & cheerful, the bubble wrap withstood the heat surprisingly well and there was a noticeable improvement in the heat at the outlets. This was with an Eber D2...

Lodesman77

Visit site
Wrap the ducting in several layers of tin foil - Tesco's cheapest; buy a good few rolls. Then a layer of roof insulation, covered by more tin foil and taped around with aluminium flashing tape.

Total cost for covering about 5m of ducting, less than £10. Temperature of air output up by 15 degrees...

Modulation

Visit site
Loft insulation is definitely the way to go - it's cheap and effective and you can bend it the way you want. Fix it with duck tape. If you spend a little more you can get a non itch variety or for a little more still can get a roll based on sheeps wool. I think either/both B and Q and Wickes sell them. Provided you can get tape around all the insulation (to prevent on going release of fibres) going for the cheapest seems best.