Installing ais

paris

Visit site
Afternoon, currently fitting an aid system onboard and have got the laptop showing it is transmitting it’s position, however there are no othe vessels nearby I can currently call on to check to see if they can see me. No issue I though I will check online but currently not able to see the boat, how long do you think it will take the internet page to catch up (if at all)?

Thanks

Martin_J

Visit site
Marinetraffic can take 24 hours to show you for the very first time.. After you have been visible once, you appear quicker the subsequent times you power it on.

I assume you can see other vessels nearby on Marinetraffic... Remember that to see yourself on these online websites, there does need to be a shore receiving station nearby that sees you and reports that to the Internet.

Martin_J

Visit site
Whereabouts are you?

Remember you can select shore/receiving stations only on the Marinetraffic web/app views. With that you will see if there's any chance of your transmission being received.

paris

Visit site
Marinetraffic can take 24 hours to show you for the very first time.. After you have been visible once, you appear quicker the subsequent times you power it on.

I assume you can see other vessels nearby on Marinetraffic... Remember that to see yourself on these online websites, there does need to be a shore receiving station nearby that sees you and reports that to the Internet.
Hi Martin, thanks for the info I suspected it could be the case, I will check again tomorrow, I am in Essex btw.

Martin_J

Visit site
Selecting 'Stations' in the layers menu and deselecting 'Vessels' in the Vessel Options menu will show shore stations only.

From that, try and work out if you would expect to have any chance of showing up in your current location.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312-163052_MarineTraffic.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312-163052_MarineTraffic.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

paris

Visit site
Selecting 'Stations' in the layers menu and deselecting 'Vessels' in the Vessel Options menu will show shore stations only.

From that, try and work out if you would expect to have any chance of showing up in your current location.

View attachment 173774
Thanks Martin, I was literally just looking and I’m not near a working site, (above the two red ones near Southend.

Refueler

Visit site
We use Marine Traffic Commercially as we need to track ships involved in our cargoes ...

Previous posts talk about Shore stations - in fact Marine Traffic is also supplied data from Satelite received AIS ... otherwise we would not be able to track ships and our cargoes offshore !

Marine Traffic does have a serious limitation when using the free version - and even the free Logon Pro - the info is often time delayed OR not updated sufficiently. If I open MT without logging on - I can quite often see my boats for days after use - even though AIS has been off for reasonable time.

paris

Visit site
We use Marine Traffic Commercially as we need to track ships involved in our cargoes ...

Previous posts talk about Shore stations - in fact Marine Traffic is also supplied data from Satelite received AIS ... otherwise we would not be able to track ships and our cargoes offshore !

Marine Traffic does have a serious limitation when using the free version - and even the free Logon Pro - the info is often time delayed OR not updated sufficiently. If I open MT without logging on - I can quite often see my boats for days after use - even though AIS has been off for reasonable time.
Ok noted, I suspect it’s the fact it’s a new install and I suppose the system will need to catch up

srm

Visit site
Marine Traffic does have a serious limitation when using the free version
Yes, a few years ago my boat spent quite a few months stopped in the same location, around 60 miles off the south coast of Ireland. Presumably where it went out of range. The following year we were similarly stopped for months between two of the islands in the Azores. Perhaps its better now that they use satellite tracking. She was last seen 24 days ago in the marina, when we had the instruments on.

Refueler

Visit site
Ok noted, I suspect it’s the fact it’s a new install and I suppose the system will need to catch up

You should be seen on MT if picked up - within 24hrs .... often much quicker .....

I have noted my boats coming online within an hour ... but often much longer .. depends on the update frequency of data to MT and their site updating.

You can also try :

Vesselfinder.com

myshiptracking.com

vesseltracker.com

fleetmon.com

shiptracker.live

shiplocation.com

just a few sites out there ............. :)

TBH - Marine tracker is generally good - but at times could be better !!

Other threads that may be of interest