Installing a Sight Glass....Fittings??

SHUG

Visit site
I want to install a sight glass in the fuel system and I have sourced some suitable acrylic tubing.
What I cannot find are 10mm fittings which have a standard compression olive on one side for copper tubing and a O-ring seal on the other side to seal to the sight glass tube.
Anybody got any leads for me ? Thanks

chewi

Visit site
Thread and Pipe services, Poole, Dorset 01201 576789 or Hyphose

www.hyphose.com - 2 Witney Road, Nuffield Industrial Estate, Poole, Dorset - 01202 673 333

would be able to help, though there must be someone closer to you, but if you trade by phone or post or internet localoity is almost irrelevant.

you could post them a small length of the pipes to connect to at either end.

on mine I was supplied a cylindrical collar as an olive, which when compressed in length makes a secure even fix to the clear PVC .

get quite few olives and an excess length of PVC, I suspect the PVC will discolour in due course, and its cheap as chips anyway.

rob2

Visit site
I bought a sight glass from BES (link above) and cut it down to length. Also had to find a few suitable adapter bits at the chandlers to connect it. This type, usually fitted to heating ol tanks, has a press to open valve at the base, so in the event of fire, only the oil in the sight glass will spill. That was the reason my insurers insisted I changed the original simple sight tube.

Rob.

Bobobolinsky

Visit site
Parker Hannifin, should be able to google your local supplier. If you are going to use the boat on inland waterways, check the BSS before cutting holes in your tanks.

SHUG

Visit site
The BSS frowns on sight glasses. I can't remember the all recommendations but they should be physically protected from damage and have a cut off valve at one end.
Yup done that!
But I still haven't found the fitting I'm after. I have a straight tap with compression one end and o-ring at the other so they do exist.......somewhere.

cliff

Visit site
I will probably get shot down for this but....... I had a similar problem fitting a ridgid sight tube - solution...... cut a piece of rubber tubing about 3/8" long and use that as a rubber "olive" in place of the brass one. Place a brass shim washer between the compression nut and the rubber "olive" to help compress the rubber and prevent twisting of the rubber while tightening the compression nut - alternatively make a teflon or nylon olive (you would need a piece of teflon or nylon rod and a lathe)

I never did find fittings compression one end / "O" ring the other.

Well, that killed this thread dead in its tracks. :confused:

Last edited: