Insightful Reading Recommendation.... Anyone?

goeasy123

Visit site
Hi Andy, yes, I have read them all - and no, definitely not clever, hence having to read so much to help my much befuddled and limited mind!

I would add to that list anything by Christopher Hitchens (RIP) - guaranteed to make you think, if you want a recommendation (and something sure to be controversial) try this : The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

Good one. I do like Hitchens.

There are two kinds of people in the world, befuddled and deluded;)

goeasy123

Visit site
Stingo... On your buying tip': I always go for the alt option on Amazon. Ebay didn't occur to me. Do you think it's cheaper?

Also, anyone, I'm looking for a recommendation on the influence of the tech giants on society and globalisation??

Stingo

Visit site
Stingo... On your buying tip': I always go for the alt option on Amazon. Ebay didn't occur to me. Do you think it's cheaper?

Also, anyone, I'm looking for a recommendation on the influence of the tech giants on society and globalisation??
Yep, I've found ebay.co.uk is cheaper; often you'll find deals with free postage.
There's a book called something like Surveillance Capitalism. I have it on my kindle. The author goes on and on and on and zzzzzzz...... unnecessarily using words I've never heard off. Plus she keeps repeating herself.

goeasy123

Visit site
Yep, I've found ebay.co.uk is cheaper; often you'll find deals with free postage.
There's a book called something like Surveillance Capitalism. I have it on my kindle. The author goes on and on and on and zzzzzzz...... unnecessarily using words I've never heard off. Plus she keeps repeating herself.

No... First, it's got to be readable! If it's your thing you might like The Value of Everything, Mariana Mazzucato.

goeasy123

Visit site
Stingo...

On the first one I'll let you know. The second... I've spend a long time in Colorado and California on business ;) and i think the results of Portugal's policy will turn out to be profound.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

The Future of the professions :how technology with transform the world of human experts by Richard Susskind

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (whole of ecolocy starts here!)

An Unexpected light by Jason Elliot (helped me make sense of the background to Afghanistan)

Trieste by Jan Morris (actually anything by her, travel writing that opens doors to understandings of culture,politics and history)

Stingo

Visit site
Published in 2012, so you could argue that it's out of date, Planet Ponzi by Mitch Feierstein is about how corrupt the banksters and gubbermunts are, but we already knew that. Despite only being half way through it, I am more shocked than expected.

NOHOH

Visit site
Remember all those boring history lessons in school which you found difficult to put together with the last lesson because nearly all the kings and queens seemed to have one of a very small number of names and you could never remember who was who, and who was related to who?
Well...there is a very interesting and humorous book that will finally put it all together in a way you can understand and appreciate..along with interesting tit-bits like `Did you know that the guillotine and cinema (among other things) were invented in Yorkshire?`.........Its "A 1000 Years of Annoying the French" by Stephen Clarke ........and I can thoroughly recommend it. Enjoy

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
There are lots of insightful podcasts out there, which I find brilliant for passages. Currently working my way through Dan Carlin's Hardcore History but I'm sure there's plenty on the subjects you requested.

goeasy123

Visit site
There are lots of insightful podcasts out there, which I find brilliant for passages. Currently working my way through Dan Carlin's Hardcore History but I'm sure there's plenty on the subjects you requested.

Good point. I've struggled to find a good podcast directory. They seem to be filled with drivel and are poorly indexed. Any directory recommendations?

SV Kittiwake

Visit site
I'm afraid not, though I would like to find one. My brother recommended Dan Carlin and there's enough there for a long time! The episodes are around 3-4 hours long so good for a watch. We also have more light ones for when we're tired and lacking concentration. Philosophy bites is good but I think you'd like something a bit more in depth. The radio 4 podcasts are usually good maybe the in our time philosophy series? Though I prefer the Dan Carlin format to the panel discussion for a better narrative.

goeasy123

Visit site
I'm afraid not, though I would like to find one. My brother recommended Dan Carlin and there's enough there for a long time! The episodes are around 3-4 hours long so good for a watch. We also have more light ones for when we're tired and lacking concentration. Philosophy bites is good but I think you'd like something a bit more in depth. The radio 4 podcasts are usually good maybe the in our time philosophy series? Though I prefer the Dan Carlin format to the panel discussion for a better narrative.

Ooh! A reply from a celeb.

I had a look at the Dan Carlin site. Looks interesting. I think I'll try that.

BTW... keep up the good work.

Poignard

Visit site
Can someone explain to me what "insightful" means; other than its obvious, and therefore redundant, meaning.

Surely any book that explains anything at all is insightful, eg an engine maintenance manual gives you an insight into how to maintain your engine, a biography provides an insight into the subject's life and character, and so on. Would they qualify as insightful books?

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I find this site very useful but don't tell everyone about it.
https://www.bookfinder.com/