inserts in magazines

joss

Visit site
Just received Yachting Monthly and Yachting World through the letter box, PBO the other day. Getting a bit miffed about the increasing amount of inserts (Musto catalogue and various other stuff) that I have to put in the bin. Spoke with someone at IPC and was told that it is all inserted automatically when it is packaged, blagh blagh blagh and cannot be avoided. I appreciate this, and that they receive valuable revenue form the advertisers, but every month, I receive, in triplicate, a pile of glossy paper that goes straight in the bin. Does this bother many other people, or am I in the minority? Does anybody have any suggestions as to what we can do as consumers, or how the publishers can selectively insert the extras?

Robin

Visit site
Not to mention the Raymarine insert which is put in with sticky stuff so I have a torn page in both mags in order to be given something I already had and didn't want two more of!

MedMan

teall.name
I couldn't agree more. When I open up any new magazine I do so over a bin and just shake the unwanted dross straight in. Let us hope that a few advertisers read this thread and take note: they really are wasting their money advertising in this way.

CharlesM

Visit site
The green option

If the inserts are unavoidable, perhaps you could recycle rather than bin them.

Sorry for the suggestion if that is what you mean when you say you bin them.

Regards
Charles

MedMan

teall.name
Re: The green option

Hmmmmmm!!!! You could be getting me onto a hobby horse here.

Many things are worth recycling, but in most cases, paper is not. If you conduct a full energy audit of the transport and industrial processes involved in producing a paper product from recycled paper as compared to using virgin wood pulp, you can often find that you use far more energy and thus, use up more of the world's limited fossil fuels and contribute more carbon dioxide to add to the greenhouse effect.

One should not confuse the very real dangers associated with slash and burn deforestation in the tropical rain forests with the growing of pine forests in northern climes specifically for the production of wood pulp. Pine forests grown in this way are a 'cash crop' which, during their 20-year life-cycle use carbon dioxide and give out oxygen during photosynthesis. We need to encourage more such forests to be grown not less!

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Let us hope that a few advertisers read this thread and take note: they really are wasting their money advertising in this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having spent most of my working life in the advertising industry, I can assure you that advertisers don't like wasting money! All direct response advertising - and that includes loose inserts - is measured and poor responding media are quickly cut out of the schedule. Inserts are still one of the most effective forms of advertising and this time of the year is also a traditional time for direct response advertisers plus as far as this market is concerned, we are approaching the new season. Advertisers know that they are those who "shake" over the bin, but within the scheme of things it is still cost efficient.

joss

Visit site
Re: The green option

Sorry, yes, I am recycling them. It just annoys me when I consider the amount of energy (mostly derived from fossil fuels) that is involcved in felling the tree, processing it to propduce paper, etc etc print it etc, etc package it, deliver it, then have to either bury it in a landfill or recycle it.
- in many cases for nothing. The whole thing is just incredible.

Jo

CharlesM

Visit site
Re: The green option - NB

MedMan

If recycling paper is really not good, then why are we doing it?

Is it like during the second world war when the populace was asked for their tin pots to aid the war effort even though these were not used? - ie a pacifying or feel good factor.

This is a genuine question.

The recycle truck comes past my place regardless of whether or not I recycle paper, and takes tins, bottles and plastic away as well, so I will continue recycling... would like to know more though.

Regards
Charles

MedMan

teall.name

My information is based upon an article in the New Scientist, admittedly some 10 years ago, which did a full energy audit of the various processes involved in making a paper product from new and from recycled paper. It concluded that in many cases, more energy was consumed by recycling.

What should we do with it? Re-cycle it within your home/office if you can (e.g. print out your favourite thread on the back of last month's Parish Newsletter) but otherwise compost it, bin it or burn it. Whichever you do will produce the same amount of carbon dioxide, but that same amount will be taken up by the tree being grown for the purpose in Scandanavia. If we stopped buying new paper they would stop planting new trees - they don't grow them to look pretty! I say again: trees grown for paper are a cash crop with their own very short carbon cycle.

Waste is another matter altogether. Producing masses of printed bumph that no-one wants is clearly a waste of energy.

Why do we recycle paper if it isn't energy efficient? I suspect because it is cool to be green, but very few people ever look at the facts behind the issue.

At this point I bow out and defer to others with more up-to-date knowledge. I'm just a retired science teacher with some old information. Perhaps someone out there can bring us all up to date, but with facts please, not sentiment.

Abigail

www.sailblogs.com

See the friends of the Earth comprehensive briefing on the subject at

FoE paper recycling briefing

This concludes:

There are clear benefits to paper recycling such as relieving pressure on forest resources and reducing the amount of waste going to landfill. Despite this the product and the process have been criticised. This briefing shows that those arguments put forward against recycling are not sufficiently robust as to discourage recycling.

Recycling of paper uses considerably less total energy than the production of virgin paper. However, there is a greater dependency on fossil fuels in recycling processes. Consequently, recycling must be encouraged along side clean energy production from renewable sources such as solar and wind energy. For most transport modes, the energy costs between different transport scenarios of virgin paper and recycled paper are insignificant in comparison to the energy savings arising from the recycled paper production process.

Overall, studies suggest that for pollutants, the environmental burden is less if paper is recycled. There are small increases in BOD and suspended solids but technology is available to reduce these pollutants from the effluent stream. While heavy metals in the sludge have been of concern, the levels of these contaminants are thought to have declined in line with a reduction in their use in inks and pigments.

Clearly, the argument of which process offers the most environmental benefits in terms of CO2 reduction - recycling or incineration with energy recovery - has not been resolved. However, recent life cycle studies tend to favour recycling over incineration.

Paper recycling leads to savings in the use of raw materials for pulp and paper production and less wood is used. This should result in less intensive forest management and take the pressure off exploitation of old growth forests, vitally important for their biodiversity.

The market demand for waste paper will only increase if new processing capacity is developed.

Not only should paper recycling be more actively promoted but this must be carried out in concert with reduction of paper use.

<font color="green"> </font>

So - yes recycle and there is a net gain This briefing is 1997, and the technology continues to improve.

Anwen

Visit site

As an environmental manager in industry, I am aware of the New Scientist study (which has been repeated in a number of other journals) and would still promote recycling of paper. Even if the energy balance does not favour recycling, we as a nation really need to get into the habit, and recycle where we can.

The recent landfill regulations are forcing local authorities to meet tough targets for reducing the volume of waste which is sent to landfill, and as a result, kerbside recycling schemes are being set up to provide an alternative.

Bottom line: we all need to change our behaviour, and get used to recycling.

Vara

Visit site

Completely agree an energy audit does not give the whole picture.

However I digress I don't mind the boaty inserts I scan those before putting in "Green bin",I don't mind the personalised pencil insert........I remember the pleasure when at age 7 I was given a set of these for my Birthday.
It's the "Open this and you've won a Million £s" insert which really p***ses me off,at best it's unlikely and I suspect its not an Honourable way to make money(I'm struggling here to put scam or con.....allegedly......... in non actionable terms)