Injectors

benjenbav

Visit site
Just had an injector fail on the Rangie, the engine for which is a BMW unit. Replaced by main dealer: £400 odd (ex VAT).

That seemed to me to have a reasonable main dealer premium in it and it made me wonder what sort of marine uplift could be expected for an equivalent on the boat.

I can't imagine the job would be any more difficult nor that the injector itself is a marinised component.

dragoon

Visit site
Just curious, how much of the 400 pounds was labor versus components?

I've taken all 6 injectors out of one of my VP engines and replaced them before. It's not a very hard job, nor does it take very long - probably 1 hour max to remove all and replace with new sealing rings.

What I can't say is how much a new injector actually costs. I would have thought 120 - 150 pounds would be reasonable for a conventional pressure operated injector. Maybe they're more for the common rail type engines?

Cheers,
Paul

Questor

Visit site
The BMW engine has a known problem re replacing injectors. I think Martin got away with it as he "only" received a £400 bill. I imagine half of this was labour. The injector can "stick" and there are plenty of horror stories out there. BMW labour rate is £113.00 + Vat per hour as I recently had the misfortune to find out. Other "major" issues with this engine are turbo failure & ingesting the swirl flaps in the inlet manifold, which means new engine. Paticularly so with the 2 litre 4 pot. Again plenty of horror stories out there.
So it's not just VP engines.

Out of interest, a remapped 535d can kick out in excess of 340bhp. Not bad for three litre diesel.

Questor

Visit site
Absolutely. Major issues, although I think the manual versions may not have the swirl flaps. See Here

He might do better to get a 3 litre, but although the problem still exists, there appears to be less cases of engines letting go. I'm hoping mine doesn't become one of them. Otherwise it a superb engine.

DAVIDO

Visit site
OMG thanks very much for the info. He can only get two litre because of his age (20) re insurance. He is looking for a manual though so will try and find if this one is not effected. Thanks again.

alt

Visit site
The turbo issue was fixed after Nov 2002, they used a different turbo. The Garrett turbo's were prone to failure. Don't know if the swirl flap issue was resolved

Just buy a 330d /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DAVIDO

Visit site
Just been reading various forums on this and it appears that this (problem) turbo was used through most of 03. As i mentioned in previous post its my son whos looking and insurance would be prohibitive on a 330. If he looks for an 04 car i think he will overstretch his budget.

Questor

Visit site
The turbos are cheap by comparison to replace. The swirl flap problem is the more worrying issue, as you have to replace the engine.

Supply on the used 320d outstrips demand at the moment, so maybe he should punt around for an 04. Have you thought of buying at auction?

DAVIDO

Visit site
Oh i see thought the swirl flappy jobbie went because of turbo failure not as another fault. Problem is he was going to part ex his polo but i think he could stretch his budget by seling privately and then perhaps as you suggest go to an auction.

benjenbav

Visit site
Thanks for all these comments. I've been in a meeting all day so haven't had the chance to reply.

I haven't had the bill yet but I am expecting it to be about half part and half labour.

If they're a known problem should I expect another five to go pop?

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I clean and test my own injectors with a test pump that cost me £40 15 years ago.
Having 2 x 6 cyliner units I have obviously made some savings

[/ QUOTE ]

You jammy get:) I've been sniffing around for one of those and seen none of late. Its rumoured than even injector pump test machines come up now and again.

Also with 2 x 6 pot engines.