Injector sealant?

jonathanhsm

Visit site
RE: Perkins Perama M20/ Volvo MD2020
I've pulled my very grubby coked up injectors for a service ... when I re-install them some youtubers put on sealant on the last two threads (Loctite 574) others just seem to use copper grease. Some manuals don't mention it others do. Any advice out there ?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The coppe washer is what seales the injector into the head.

It would help to aide removal nec=xt tine if you use an anti seizure or copper grease to help prevent the injector jamming head

jonathanhsm

Visit site
I understand that. But as I say some advise copper grease, some advise dry fitting, some advise sealant ???
Later manuals say use Volvo sealant 840879 at vast expense - but Loctite 574 or Permatex is similar. Older manuals don't say anything.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I understand that. But as I say some advise copper grease, some advise dry fitting, some advise sealant ???
Later manuals say use Volvo sealant 840879 at vast expense - but Loctite 574 or Permatex is similar. Older manuals don't say anything.

The only way to seal the injector in the pocket is a soft copper washer with the body well lubricated with copperslip. . Loctite 575 is intended for minimal pressure applications and probably no usel here where you can expect very high combustion pressure.

Some engines have injectors mounted in copper sleeves and these do not require a copper washer.

jonathanhsm

Visit site
The only way to seal the injector in the pocket is a soft copper washer with the body well lubricated with copperslip. . Loctite 575 is intended for minimal pressure applications and probably no usel here where you can expect very high combustion pressure.

Some engines have injectors mounted in copper sleeves and these do not require a copper washer.
You say Loctite 575 ... I say Loctite 574 ... which is different and what various youtube diy engineers seem to recommend?

jonathanhsm

Visit site
PS that's in addition to copper washers ... and only recommended on the bottom two threads so maybe it's a belt and braces thing ...?

Meanwhile I'm fairly horrified by the cost of Volvo/Perkins copper washers .... so I think I'll be annealing my old ones - except for the ones with holes in for the leak-off pipes.