Infra Red Mosquito Net - I'll take three

affinite

Visit site
Dont think the link will work (subscription required) but an interesting article in The Times caught my eye today ...

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/article4262846.ece

Extract
"An astrophysicist who has spent his career studying black holes and dark matter has come up with a radical invention aimed at eradicating malaria.
Szabolcs Márka, based at Columbia University in New York, has developed an “optical bed net”, a curtain of light that repels mosquitoes instantly.
“Binary black holes are beautiful, but we wanted to put some time into things that could help people,” said Dr Márka, who has received a $1 million grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop the technology.
It works by producing a sheet of infrared light, which acts as a barrier to keep mosquitoes out of a specific area. A series of specially designed beams of light are positioned along the top of the doorframe, while a conical “curtain” is created above a bed by using a rotating infrared beam."
"Their prototype cost several hundred dollars but the team is aiming for a retail price of about $10. Even in places unaffected by malaria there could be a market for keeping mosquitoes out of bedrooms."

Id love a few of these on my boat ... Imagine an infra red mosquito curtain around the cockpit - Mrs Affinite would be in heaven !
Maybe those of us who cruise in mosquito areas should lobby AngusMcDoon for a YAPP along these lines :)

tinkicker0

Visit site
I could do with a portable version, those Greek Mossies just love me. I don't think much of them or their penny sized, itching like eczema, weeping lumps however.

In the meantime, have you tried garlic pearls? I have had good holiday results on taking three on a morning and another three about an hour before I set out for the tavernas of an evening. Reckon 75% reduction in bites.

Visit site
Jeez, what size mossies do you have that have "penny sized, itching like eczema, weeping lumps"

Not unusual for me either, the hystemine in the bites give me old penny size lumps, following a bite on an eyelid it swelled up and closed completely for 2 days.
I take anti-histimine and use a similar deternet spray.
At home in the UK midgies also cause swelling, but not like the mossies do.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
Greek mossies are the spawn of the devil. Horrible swellings. UK ones have very little effect in comparison.
+++1. Mossies in Spain, France and Italy have nothing on the Greek version, and I've given meals in all three countries. I come up in new penny lumps which itch for a week. SWMBO comes up in old penny lumps and she's still bothered from bites she got in September which will not heal. If these machines were available I would buy a case load.

johnwest

Visit site
The last time I was sailing in Greece I had several bad bites. Went to the local pharmacy who sold me a tube of Fenistil. Magic ointment that took all the itch out of the bites. Not available in GB but can be bought over the internet, Croatia I think.

j

charles_reed

Visit site
+++1. Mossies in Spain, France and Italy have nothing on the Greek version, and I've given meals in all three countries. I come up in new penny lumps which itch for a week. SWMBO comes up in old penny lumps and she's still bothered from bites she got in September which will not heal. If these machines were available I would buy a case load.

Most virulent of all are those in Scotland!!!!

telford_mike

Visit site

Chris_Robb

Visit site

They don't like me - never been bitten, though I did have malaria as a baby - so must have been bitten once....

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Wow is that true about Greek mosquitoes? This thought, added to maybe Greek taxes just might supply the necessary kick for me to get moving again. Been stuck in the Ionian for three years now.

Probably leave in 2015 anyway. A little extra tension on the catapult would be welcome though.

Tony Cross

Visit site
This isn't widely known, but the Greek government has been spending millions developing ethnicity-aware mosquitoes as payback for all the imposed austerity. The strength of the "bite" you feel depends principally on your national genetic origins. Those with Germanic origins will suffer the most, those with Italian or Spanish heritage will barely be affected. They say that revenge is a dish best served cold, to the Greeks it's a dish best served by mossies!

Visit site
Wow is that true about Greek mosquitoes? This thought, added to maybe Greek taxes just might supply the necessary kick for me to get moving again. Been stuck in the Ionian for three years now.

Probably leave in 2015 anyway. A little extra tension on the catapult would be welcome though.
Any sign that the taxes are likely to be imposed 2015, no notification yet so far as I know.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Any sign that the taxes are likely to be imposed 2015, no notification yet so far as I know.

I don't think it will happen. The original idea was as a yearly tax valid for 12 month payable on or by January 1st 2014.

As we know that date came and went. The next valid start date is January 1st 2015 which is getting a bit close for implementation for 2015.

Maybe Tony Cross has it wrong in the details of the breeding of special mosquitoes. Perhaps the new-age mosquitoes will respond to a "go away" ringing code from a key ring chip. For sale at PP offices for 400 euro for boats less than 10 meters etc.

A legal way out to solve the argument about EU rules and who the heck will collect it.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I don't think it will happen. The original idea was as a yearly tax valid for 12 month payable on or by January 1st 2014.

As we know that date came and went. The next valid start date is January 1st 2015 which is getting a bit close for implementation for 2015.

Maybe Tony Cross has it wrong in the details of the breeding of special mosquitoes. Perhaps the new-age mosquitoes will respond to a "go away" ringing code from a key ring chip. For sale at PP offices for 400 euro for boats less than 10 meters etc.

A legal way out to solve the argument about EU rules and who the heck will collect it.

That's supposed to be secret. How did you get to know about it?