Info Is Good For You

c_j

Visit site
cookies

Tried to amend my details but disallowed by system probably because I have disabled cookies. There are a number of malicious people out there and I would prefer not to receive cookies, so Kim, is there another way?

Whilst on the subject how many of you have suddenly found you have "my comet curser" running on your machine, and thought that another user had placed it there?

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: cookies

CJ., Cookies are harmless and are needed to run the Net efficiently. I don't know if you are aware but many self destruct after a given time. Comet Cursor you must have accidentally downloaded yourself as it requires a 'command' from you to do so. If you have disbaled Cookies you will find there are many places your Browser cannot access.

ô¿ô

davel

Visit site

> Whilst on the subject how many of you have suddenly found you have "my comet curser" running on your machine, and thought that another user had placed it there?

What is "comet curser"? I've found that my cursor occasionally develops a mind of it's own and starts resizing windows and opening menus from the "Start" button. Is this it? If so, how do you get rid of it? (please don't recommend S*****N).

Dave L.

G

Re: Blimey

Bless my sole thats hugh, makes my little 150 hp's seem rather tame, dare'nt ask GPH at full chat

cneighbour

coliholic

Visit site
Re: Blimey

'Arry Pottair, le skipper, said 500litres an hour. Don't know if that was each though.

BTW done mine too

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coliholic on Wed Mar 20 18:11:56 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

c_j

Visit site

I use zone-alarm for firewall protection and sorry Byron, I just don't like cookies.
I don't find it causes any problems, well except I cannot put my biog on this site:)

The following is an article on Comet Cursor which I found and I must say I believe.

Our Advice to You!
RE: Comet Cursor

Curious thing happened to me recently...

I was surfing the web, minding my own private business (as websurfers often do), when this Comet Cursor window pops up. It tells me my software is "outdated" and asks my permission to "update" it. I think to meself, "OK... so somebody in the house has installed Comet Cursor on my system without telling me and maybe I should check it out for myself..." So I allow the "update" to continue. (I would figure out later that nobody actually installed Comet Cursor in the first place!)

A couple of Comet icons appear on my desktop and I start looking at the various cursors that Comet Cursor provides. I see all these different themes to choose from, like "Autumn", "Comics.com", "Anime", "Hong Kong Cinema"... "Backstreet Boys", too, if you're into that sort of thing. I eventually select an "Alien" cursor and try that for a bit.

But then I figure, "Well, hey, this is obviously some piece of shareware and it must be listed on CNet's download.com site." So I thought I'd check out the "user opinions" to get a feel for what others have thought of Comet Cursor. Of course, there are the favorable opinions such as "Yay, no more boring cursors!". Or, "I've got Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears cursors! Yummy!" But then, there are the not-so-favorable opinions...

The naysayers all seemed to say the same thing about Comet Cursor:

"SPYWARE!"

"Spyware" is the term given to freeware that doubles as a tool for marketers (and perhaps other nefarious criminals) to track an individual websurfer's movements from site to site. If you check out the Comet Systems website, you'll see they are much more on the marketing tip and not so much into giving away "pretty cursors":

"Comet Systems has built a business by licensing the building blocks and communications infrastructure of its popular freeware product to businesses seeking cost-effective acquisition, retention, and activation of their customers." Yadda, yadda, yadda. Comet Cursor is a marketing tool and Comet Systems is a marketing company, period.

However it works and whether my privacy would be compromised or not, I wasn't keen on keeping such dual-purpose piffle on my PC. I could always use more disk space and fewer installed programs and less clutter; none of this cursor nonsense is worth it really since there are other less-invasive ways to install your own cursor schemes.

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com