Inflatable tender for 34ft sailing yacht

Xscapiste

Visit site
I am looking to get an inflatable tender for our X34 before we go cruising round Scotland (fingers crossed we are allowed to), have bought an electric outboard but can't decide on which dinghy to get. Have been looking at zodiac cadet 270 aero, also waveline premium 270 and possibly quicksilver airbed 250. Think we want a dinghy with min tube size 40cm, but bottom line is it needs to fit in our locker and not be too heavy for man handling around the locker. I know the above will fit but the smaller the better. I have no idea on waveline and quicksilver quality. Is there anything else anyone might recommend that is lighter? Having read alot of these forums it seems that people recommend better quality second hand over cheaper new brands. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any second hand zodiacs around or much else so I guess I would need to bite the bullet and go new. Any advice much appreciated.

pcatterall

Visit site
I am looking to get an inflatable tender for our X34 before we go cruising round Scotland (fingers crossed we are allowed to), have bought an electric outboard but can't decide on which dinghy to get. Have been looking at zodiac cadet 270 aero, also waveline premium 270 and possibly quicksilver airbed 250. Think we want a dinghy with min tube size 40cm, but bottom line is it needs to fit in our locker and not be too heavy for man handling around the locker. I know the above will fit but the smaller the better. I have no idea on waveline and quicksilver quality. Is there anything else anyone might recommend that is lighter? Having read alot of these forums it seems that people recommend better quality second hand over cheaper new brands. Unfortunately there don't seem to be any second hand zodiacs around or much else so I guess I would need to bite the bullet and go new. Any advice much appreciated.
How much will it be used and over what sort of distances/sea conditions? Our Avon suits our needs and packs up really small but we need to fit the outboard bracket for more than a short row.

Xscapiste

Visit site
How much will it be used and over what sort of distances/sea conditions? Our Avon suits our needs and packs up really small but we need to fit the outboard bracket for more than a short row.
I really want one that we can use predominantly with an engine so would look for one with a permanent outboard bracket.

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Had a Waveline 270 inflatable keel and it was a good dinghy. Not the lightest, but I could manhandle it to an extent. Fitted some wheels to the transom that made a big difference, but of course that impacts the size of it deflated. Kept ours on davits when cruising and packed away when not. It lasted well over fifteen years, before the sun eventually got to it. UK. In the end the seams started going and I couldn’t keep up with the repair, so had to let it go.
Im now looking to replace and like the Honwave, but they’re a bit pricey. Interested in the Seago Spirit range but most likely will go for another Waveline.
I would say that something 260 would be about right for your boat and you do get quite a bit for your money with the Seago Spirit.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'd get one with a good, tough bottom. You'll be landing on rocks and barnacles a lot. That's one of the reasons we have a rigid dinghy.

pvb

Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

I bought a Zodiac Cadet Aero 240 about 7 years ago, and it's been excellent. I use a Torqeedo electric outboard with it. The Zodiac has a reassuringly rugged feel to it, and the airdeck floor is solid. Zodiac use a wrap-round valise which makes it easy to fold the dinghy up for storage.

Compared with the Waveline, I think you'll find the Zodiac has larger tubes and weighs less.

Concerto

Visit site
I purchase a Zodiac 2.7 Aero and it has nice large air tanks so you keep drier. The only thing I found using it in the Isles of Scillies was dragging it up a rocky beach was going to damage the fabric if done frequently. I have bought but not yet fitted a pair of flip down wheels to fix on the transom board to stop further damage.

dunedin

Visit site
Another vote for Waveline, we're on our second 2.9, this one six or seven years old, permanently inflated and seams still fine, in high UV area but covered with chaps.

And another - we got one of these Waveline 270 a couple of years back and it has been hard used, landing on quite a lot of remote Scottish islandshttps://www.duncanyacht.co.uk/017403-Waveline-Inflatable-with-Airdeck-and-Keel-2.7m

Did quite a bit of research and side by side comparisons - for me this was better in many design details than the Seago (that we had last time), Excel Volante and Honwave equivalents, for example.

A 2.7m with solid transom is always going to be a fair size to fit in a stern locker, in which case a smaller one might be easier. Ours now lives on davits with the outboard permanently attached and fold down wheels - bliss!