Inaugural - Non IPC arranged forum meet

BarryD

Visit site
How about a chance to put faces to names, in a food and drink type environment, that doesn't involve us huddled around my tiny cockpit on MVII (Firefly) or around your cockpit / saloon? I've floated the idea around on a couple of PMs but to avoid developing a clique let's make it public, and tying it into the London Boat Show seems a cracking idea as well, so:

Date: 11th January, 2002
Time: 18:30 for table at 19:30
Venue: Wig and Pen in central London (Fleet Street), we gather from around 18:30 with table being booked for 19:30ish. Early starters could gather in the Old Bank of England across the road.
Who: Partners, but please no short people - Matts kindly offered to allow them to be tied up in his London garret with his medium sized people about 400 yards away - unlimited Simpson's and fizzy drink - if warranted we can rustle up a mature person to count heads but probably not required as senior Matts short person quite mature (must get it from Mrs S.)
Dress - well it's boaty party but jeans / grungy deck shoes won't work in the restaurant - some people will be from show, others just left work. Jackets for the chaps - ladies as they want. Wig n' Pen will refuse access and no amount of pleading works - I know it's quite funny watching Yanks beg to be let in!
Cost: Likely to be in the order of £60 per head, but that is a wild stab in the dark, I need to sort out menus etc.. with their head waiter type. Personally I've never got out of the Wig 'n Pen for less than £50 a head but a staggering proportion of that has been booze. I will be seeking deposits as the plan firms up.
Numbers: It's a small place so maximum is going to be about 24 (including partners) we are unlikely to be able to squeeze extra bodies in, so if you want to join us let me know soonest. If we get below 20 then they will shove us in a flashy room upstairs otherwise we're in the cellar. If we get way over 24 then we may change venue - or limit attendance.

Afterwards - drink coffee until the sun rises or troop round and continue the party at the Steadman London residence until we've drunk all the booze we've brought or can find.

Hotels: I've had the Dury Lane Moathouse recommended @ £153 per night for 2 http://www.londonhotels.ndirect.co.uk/drury.htm

Serious interest only please - I need firm bookings ASAP not chat.

jfm

Visit site
Yes please 2 persons, firm booking not chat. Probly leave short people at home but grateful for kind offer by matts (and can I pick 'em up the following monday?)

For those not deeply familar with WC2, other hotels very nearby are The Howard (imho bit stuffy, marbley, now a SwissHotel), One Aldwych (fab rooms, Philippe Starck so Beneteau Ombrine owners will feel at home, and vacuflush toilets so Leopard owners also feel at home, highly recommended), Waldorf (imho a big painting and decorating contract waiting to happen), Savoy (nuff sed). These are all a 3-5 minute walk from Wig n Pen. Lots of others a short cab ride away. Oops..... sorry I'm chatting, slap.

jfm

Visit site
IPC business - for Kim

Kim if you are able to come along to Forum bash and bring subscription to MBM and MBY I promise to sign both, there and then on the spot. Now, that makes it a bona fide business outing for you......

G

Re: Oh all right then.

err, isn't the LBS down in docklands this year?

BarryD

Visit site
24 NAMES ACHIEVED - ALL SEATS GONE

That was bloody quick - only 5 names are on the unsure list or those seeking permission from higher authority to be allowed to go out to play after tea-time.

Can those seeking permission or suffering from an inability to remember when they are going sking (Kevin) get back to me ASAP...

I will speak to the Wig 'n Pen and see if they could shoe-horn more seats but it is supposed to be small club <BG>

BTW: Some seats went via PM as the web activity is monitored at some places. It is here but I get to sign off the report. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BarryD on Wed Nov 21 16:21:15 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

BarryD

Visit site
WHAT WOULD THE INTEREST BE IN MORE SEATS?

OK 24 seats gone in five hours hardly gives the night time users a chance to play. Would many more be interested in coming - I could seek out an alternative venue - same rules just more seats. Or would that be too many drunken strangers at once?

jfm

Visit site
Re: Alternative venues...

Assuming the Steadman-short-person-containment-unit is to be used, venue needs to be very close by. Maybe if all repliers could say if they will use this storage facility, becuase if not then restaurant could be a teeny bit further away

See what happens re numbers. If need more room then within 500 metres of creche there are....

One Aldwych, has 3 priv rooms, for about 20, 40, 80 people repsectively. Suspect £60-70 a head though jolly nice. special rate possible so lemme know

Waldorf (dunno their rooms)

Howard (not so nice imho, but they have a dining room for 35ish).

Savoy obv have several rooms.

If gets any bigger the Grand Ballroom at Dorchester praps, and Elton John followed by Dido for ents?

Or we could take all of Joe Allen or Orso's, but split across many tables so not as good.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
A definate, yes from me. Subject to her indoors comming to a decision in the near future. Decisions are not her strongest asset. But she will come to the right decision I'm sure, once she has decided on the penances and promises I have to make first.
I Will have to decline the offer of short person compound as short persons now very long persons and have been re-billited at various drinking establishment in the North.

Haydn

G

Well you got us two down earlier, so looks like a bit oversubscribed,. Bigger venue looms.

Leave the selction to you cissy oops sorry city types just let us country boys know where we're going.

Cor ever so exciting, going to Lunnern to meet hever so himportant peoples. Must remember not to make a prat of myself and stare open mouthed at flash cars and all the lights of the big city.

Swmbo wants to know if arab shop in knightsbridge is open for late night shopping like Tesco's do here in the sticks and will they have a sale on and do they take credit cards 'cos she's never been before. Oh and would any other swmbo's like to make up a girls night out shopping whilst chaps get pi**ed. Told her no to all points already.

Other threads that may be of interest