In praise of Screwfix.

MM5AHO

Visit site
Amazes me that two companies with the same ownership can be so different. Screwfix and B&Q both owned by Kingfisher.

I also buy from Toolstation. Between them and Screwfix most stuff available, quickly and at good prices.

VicMallows

Visit site
Most amazing is that the chap who started (and sold) Screwfix to Kingfisher then went on -after a necessary delay- to start (and sell) Toolstation to Travis-Perkins (Wickes) !!

I admire him! Wouldn't be that surprised to see a similar follow-on.

Seajet

Visit site
I suddenly needed an hydraulic bottle jack in a hurry, it's part of the set-up to shift my boat's trestles during antifouling.

Thought of Screwfix as they've just opened an outlet near me and phoned the big number on the website, it was quick and easy to check the thing was in stock, order and pay for.

I was amazed when the nice young lady said " it'll be ready to collect in 5 minutes " - it was 7PM on Good Friday !

Good value too - huge thumbs up from me...

:encouragement:

Baggy

Visit site
It really pisses me off that they want all your personal details

I popped in for some sanding disc's with a crispy £5 note

Finally got to the counter, 15 minute wait,

then he went down the route of Post code house number .
blah... blah...

grrrrrr

I gave no details away but got my disc's

Why do people put up with it !!!!

VicMallows

Visit site
A tip when ordering online from Toolstation:

I have recently had several orders delayed because some (not obvious) item in the order is deemed 'over-18 only'. This even for items I have in the past ordered and received with no problem. Each time I had to phone and ask for the offending item to be removed (or send passport etc,etc,etc).

I eventually realised that this had only become a problem since I started paying by PAYPAL purely for convenience to avoid entering all the usual credit card details. Sure enough, as long as I use my CC in the traditional way, I am allowed to purchase White Spirit, Knives, or whatever :rolleyes:

Apparently the logic is that I could not have a CREDIT card in my own name unless I was over 18. Presumably though a DEBIT card would fall foul in the same way as PAYPAL (although I have not tested that).

oldvarnish

Visit site
It really pisses me off that they want all your personal details

I popped in for some sanding disc's with a crispy £5 note

Finally got to the counter, 15 minute wait,

then he went down the route of Post code house number .
blah... blah...

grrrrrr

Quite! I wanted some nuts and bolts the other day and they wanted my inside leg measurement and God knows what else. I walked out and went next door to Homebase.

Stemar

Visit site
Quite! I wanted some nuts and bolts the other day and they wanted my inside leg measurement and God knows what else. I walked out and went next door to Homebase.
...and paid twice as much, at least for almost everything I've compared prices on.

Actually, I'm surprised they had what you wanted, I've always found HB to be one of those places that has everything I could possibly imagine except what I actually want.

oldvarnish

Visit site
...and paid twice as much, at least for almost everything I've compared prices on.

Yes, but since it was a couple of nuts and bolts for domestic use I was happy to pay the extra 50p not to take part in a pointless (from my point of view) data collection.
If you go into a shop for something cheap and simple, it's reasonable to expect them to give it to you in exchange for the money with no hassle, and not quiz you in greater depth than an Border Force officer.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
The trouble with Toolstation and Screwfix is not their products, service or prices .

I carefully write down the product , price and quantity at home and then hand it in to the wrong one.

I expect like that nice teenager from Aldi they will eventually take my hand and make sure I get home ok.

Baggy

Visit site
Then why all the fuss?

Because they bloody well dont tell you until you
drag Mr shopkeeper by the lapels over the counter
pull is face inches from yours and say

" you are not having my Post Code.. ALRIGHT "

and in reply he will say " fine sir no problem "

thats how I found out

( well I didnot actually grap the chap by the lapels you understand )

Visit site
Because they bloody well dont tell you until you
drag Mr shopkeeper by the lapels over the counter
pull is face inches from yours and say

" you are not having my Post Code.. ALRIGHT "

and in reply he will say " fine sir no problem "

thats how I found out

( well I didnot actually grap the chap by the lapels you understand )

I find a 'sorry that's private' normally does it.��