In love with Cornish Crabbers!

percy21

Visit site
I think that was the start price. Looking at it, I would say it was worth a bit more than £8000. Funny these threads. You posted that you loved Crabbers and really wanted one and everyone seems to be trying to get you to buy something else. Here's a picture that you might like to keep you on the right track.

TheOldCodger9

Visit site
Just seen this thread on Crabbers. I own a C22 built in 2004 and I can assure any " Doubting Thomas's" that the build quality in and out is quite superb. The earlier boats had the Yanmar 9hp engine ( as goes in the Shrimper ) and was underpowering the C22. Mine is the first of the C22s to have the Yanmar 14hp - much better and extremely reliable ( so far!). Here is a pictire of her in full sail - she lives in Bosham.

Zagato

Visit site
Well I have now bought one :D

She is a beauty great condition VERY pleased :D Hopefully for once I will be sticking with this one for more than a year :rolleyes:

It's easier to let the previous owners explain about her "
Owners' Comments: Thalassa is a 1997 Cornish Cutter 24 and we bought her after she had spent her first five years in Greece. Her first owner had specified only the best: the dark green hull, cream two-tone deck with matching powder coated mast, and cream sails.... a beautiful combination. She was in perfect condition, and we were pleased to bring her back home to the Tamar. He had specified the larger engine with 3-bladed propeller, which we have found to be responsive and powerful in any situation. She is the 3-berth version, but since the original owner specified a larger starboard cockpit locker (very handy) she is in effect set up spaciously for 2 berths. She was epoxied from new; and is very well equipped. The original owner later had a canvas winter cover made, which is a true asset and the envy of the boatyard in Devonport where she has been kept out of season.
We have maintained her carefully: the hull remains shiny, the steel and woodwork look good, the sails have been valeted regularly, and the engine serviced and winterised each year. For last season, the entire rig was overhauled by Eurospars (the original manufacturer); and this winter all the old antifouling has been professionally removed and the hull Gel-sheilded."
She is in lovely condition inside and out and I hope over the years to gain in experience with some challenging trips.

IMG_2900.jpg

3843998_-1_20120207010732_0_0.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

3843998_-1_20120206042214_0_0.jpg

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Well done Chris,

she looks lovely !

Yes, do try to stick with this one, or the forum will send the boys round !

See you out there,

Andy

P.S. And change that signature !

prv

Visit site
A nice boat.

Interesting to see how the hull shape and deck mouldings are similar to but not quite the same as the Yawl. I believe Crabbers often take bits of old moulds (or structures moulded from them) and cut and shut them together into new ones. So the front of your cockpit is just like a Yawl, but the after part is completely different. I'd be interested to see some more pictures if you take some.

Shame about the bermudan rig though :)

Pete

Zagato

Visit site
The "middle period" Crabbers ( & Cutters!) were brought out in 1995, the hull is the same as the earlier Yawl apart from the long keel obviously. Above decks were re-designed with more space in the cockpit and heads/cabin as the mizzen was no longer taking up space. The cabin roof was extended higher as the lack of lifting keel meant you can move around a bit more. Bottom line though it is very similar to the Yawl, longer legs, a bit faster apparently, a bit better to Windward and more stable needing a reef after the Yawl. Horses for courses Pete.

Lots of pictures and discussions on the differences on the Crabber Club forum ;)

http://www.cornishcrabbers.co.uk/

Better library pics of interior - these taken from the latest 2000 or so onwards models, can tell from the round port holes!.

3843998_-1_20120206042214_1_0.jpg

3843998_-1_20120206042214_3_0.jpg

The wood is not as nice as the earlier models!

Bermudan Cutter under sail...

Embletonundersail.jpg

Last edited:

Fire99

Visit site
Well I have now bought one :D

She is a beauty great condition VERY pleased :D Hopefully for once I will be sticking with this one for more than a year :rolleyes:

It's easier to let the previous owners explain about her "
Owners' Comments: Thalassa is a 1997 Cornish Cutter 24 and we bought her after she had spent her first five years in Greece. Her first owner had specified only the best: the dark green hull, cream two-tone deck with matching powder coated mast, and cream sails.... a beautiful combination. She was in perfect condition, and we were pleased to bring her back home to the Tamar. He had specified the larger engine with 3-bladed propeller, which we have found to be responsive and powerful in any situation. She is the 3-berth version, but since the original owner specified a larger starboard cockpit locker (very handy) she is in effect set up spaciously for 2 berths. She was epoxied from new; and is very well equipped. The original owner later had a canvas winter cover made, which is a true asset and the envy of the boatyard in Devonport where she has been kept out of season.
We have maintained her carefully: the hull remains shiny, the steel and woodwork look good, the sails have been valeted regularly, and the engine serviced and winterised each year. For last season, the entire rig was overhauled by Eurospars (the original manufacturer); and this winter all the old antifouling has been professionally removed and the hull Gel-sheilded."
She is in lovely condition inside and out and I hope over the years to gain in experience with some challenging trips.

IMG_2900.jpg

3843998_-1_20120207010732_0_0.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

3843998_-1_20120206042214_0_0.jpg

Stunning. Well done!

Zagato

Visit site
Thanks Peter - Yes I might be jumping in with you until the tide returns ;)

Julian - I'm not sure yet and it's a shame to let the opportunity and your kind offer go by but as it is such a busy time for me I think I am going to get her transported back up and put her straight into Tims yard until next year. Price wise there is very little in it as I don't need to do trips to get her anti-fouled etc, de-winterize the engine, crane in/out charges, mooring fees for whats left of the season then have to re-winterize/anti-foul again. I also don't need to take time off work so I think it will be easier to just get her up on a lorry and take my time on her over winter and get set up properly for next years season :)

Another Cutter24 will also be coming up on a lorry from Devon into the Solent and will be another new boat for the Crabber Club ;)

Last edited:

TheOldCodger9

Visit site
Great news that you and another will be in Chichester next year. I'll put you both down as tentative entries for the Crabber rally I am trying to organise for next year. Good idea? Have you sorted a mooring/berth yet? Good luck with it all. TOC ( Julian)

Zagato

Visit site
I will apply for a mooring in Bosham and Itchenor as back up - should be OK ;) Looking forward to the Rally, let me know if you need assistance Julian when the time comes. The other chap is going somewhere in the Solent, he hasn't sorted a mooring yet but I don't think he is intending Chi Harbour!

Last edited:

TheOldCodger9

Visit site
Great stuff. I'll certainly need some help. I'll get my thoughts together at the end of this season and get in touch. Do let me know when your boat arrives at Tim's yard. I'd love a look at her. TOC ( Julian )

Zagato

Visit site
Some pictures of the brochures of the time dated 1994 (I know longer need to look for brochures as they came with the boat along with all the service history, original invoice, certificate etc - cost 53K new in 1997)

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2920.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922-1.jpg

Last edited:

percy21

Visit site
Great news that you and another will be in Chichester next year. I'll put you both down as tentative entries for the Crabber rally I am trying to organise for next year. Good idea? Have you sorted a mooring/berth yet? Good luck with it all. TOC ( Julian)

Did you have any further thoughts about your Chichester rally?
Don,t forget the old gaffers 50th festival in cowes in August of course

Zagato

Visit site
Did you have any further thoughts about your Chichester rally?
Don,t forget the old gaffers 50th festival in cowes in August of course

Sorry Percy we were on the rally when you posted here a few days ago :( Keep an eye on the Crabber Club site for future events ;) A few will be going to the Old Gaffers event...

IMG_3128_zpse86665ec.jpg

Unfortunately despite starting on Stugeron a few days earlier I came down quickly with sea sickness from Chi to Cowes so had to turn off into Gosport and missed a couple of the Rally legs. Although a shame it was an important awakener to me to realise I shouldn't do long legs on my own and realise I was very lucky on a trip recent trip to Poole and back. I was hoping to go around the IOW this year but will stick to 2-3 hour legs :( I need somewhere to dive into if sea sickness comes on again quickly as I wonder how bad I would get if on a long trip, maybe not able to pilot the boat! This time I just oiked over the side and carried on into Halsler marine 30 mins away - Phew!

IMG_3124_zpsa5640d84.jpg

Had a great time however with good sails on the latter stages whilst visiting new ports with good company and already looking forward to next years event.

Last edited:

Zagato

Visit site
I've regretfully decided to sell my Crabber 24, I love my boat she is perfect for me but house improvements are a priority for the family now the kids are getting older and in need of seperate bedrooms :( I'm hoping to be able to get a Shrimper or earlier Crabber to stay in the Crabber community...

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Zagato,

I know you change boats more often than some people change socks, but this is terrible news !

This can't be an easy decision, as I know you love the boat; my advice is keep her, the ' home improvements ' can be a tent in the garden !