Importing power boat from USA

Seafox55

Visit site
There is also the Polish registration route
Hello Wansworth. I've been advised against registering it under a Polish flag. Apparently Poland is one of the least regulated countries and the Spanish Guardia Civil tend to go after them in particular. I might consider a UK registration, if that is still permitted after Brexit.

Wansworth

Visit site
Hello Wansworth. I've been advised against registering it under a Polish flag. Apparently Poland is one of the least regulated countries and the Spanish Guardia Civil tend to go after them in particular. I might consider a UK registration, if that is still permitted after Brexit.
Yes I am doubtful to,could go like the other countries,Belgium and Holland.I have to register my possible new boat and will probably go for the Spanish flag.I have the Patronthe Yachte

Tranona

Visit site
Hello Tranona. Yes, it's been suggested by boat owner friend of mine to register the boat under a foreign flag because of less stringent regulations, but I've also been advised against registering it under a Polish flag. Apparently Poland is one of the least regulated countries and the Spanish Guardia Civil tend to go after them in particular. Do you know what the situation is now with a UK registered boat in Spain, after Brexit?
There is no problem having a British registered boat in Spain. Registration of boats is nothing to do with the EU (not an EU competence) and each state has its own rules. Registration serves many purposes one of which is to determine the "nationality" of the boat and the rules for its crewing and equipment. In the UK there are essentially no rules on these matters for pleasure boats so registering in the UK means you can avoid the local rules. However the local state can choose to enforce its local rules for a "foreign" boat in its waters, but in reality most including Spain choose not to.

The difficulty with British Registration is that although it is what is known as an "open" register so anybody can use it the initial formalities include an inspection or survey to establish the boat exists and to measure it according to a specific formula. This is because it is a register if title as well rather like a property and has to be carried out by an approved surveyor. Also the owner needs to nominate a person in the UK as a point of contact for communication with the registry. There is also a simpler register that does not require these formalities but it is only open to UK residents and is primarily for boats in the UK. However many UK residents keep their boats in Europe, particularly Spain which is why you see so many (relatively) British boats, many of which will be on this simple register which is just as acceptable by other states.

Poland has become attractive as a register because it is relatively open and has few rules. Being "european" means to some people that it is more acceptable in the EU than UK registration but in theory it is no different - just peoples' perceptions both boat owners and many officials because of the polarisation that followed Brexit.