Important News for Single Handed Eaters

Gargleblaster

Visit site
For those of you who reside in the UK and enjoy a Fray Bentos pie, you will be delighted to know that TESCO's have a special on their steak based pies of 76p currently, or at least my local store in South Bucks did last night. I've bought half my supplies for 2010 and will go back tonight and buy the other half. [In 2006 I took 5 FB pies with me and ran out well into the voyage in 2007 I took 15 and came back with 6. This year I took 8 and came back with 3].

jesterchallenger

Visit site
I took 6 with this year, but unfortunately the oven went terminally phut (burner problem) just after cooking the first one, so I came back with 5. Eating my way through them now at home (wonderful, it reminds me of being out on the boat!). So thanks for the tip, John, I'll away down to Tesco and clear the shelf before everyone else does. The way our esteemed Prime Minister and his Chancellor are bankrupting the country, there may be no point in returning from Newport, so a good supply will be essential. I'll use them as ballast to trim the boat when the engine comes out.

helixkimara

Visit site
I had one only in my supplies from Blyth, 700 miles to Plymouth then to the Azores then to La Coruna then to Gijon and when I eventually found it, it was so low down, bildge water had getten it and the tin was badly rusted so my wife threw it away, (when I wasn't looking). Suprisingly I'm still with her!

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Prime Minister and his Chancellor are bankrupting the country, there may be no point in returning from Newport, so a good supply will be essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked out the prices of a few tinned items and everything else seems to have doubled in price. One of my staples is Ratatouille and 'Wild Pacific Salmon'. The Wild Pacific Salmon [how can it be wild if it is in a tin? Or is it wild because it is in a tin?] used to be 80p a tin , now up over £1.40. And the price of tinned tomatoes has doubled along with peaches. And worst of all I can't even find my other staple - 'Stewed Steak' from Brazil that used to be 74p a tin and was almost pure meat.

I think I will have to try fishing again for my protein supplies. I towed a fishing line with lots of hooks and wavering bits of plastic across the Atlantic and back in 2007 and caught nothing. I wonder if there are any wild salmon in the Atlantic that like flashing pieces of plastic hiding hooks? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think I will have to try fishing again for my protein supplies. I towed a fishing line with lots of hooks and wavering bits of plastic across the Atlantic and back in 2007 and caught nothing. I wonder if there are any wild salmon in the Atlantic that like flashing pieces of plastic hiding hooks? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can usually catch Mackeral while coastal but offshore can be different.

Had some success mid Biscay: I saw Dolphin and Tuna feeding on a 'bait ball' so I went over to look. I caught sight of the bait fish and happened to have a plug that looked similar. Towed that for a day and pulled in a fishy. Note the plug:

DSCF2031.jpg

Lots of Meat:
DSCF2032.jpg

Best Meal of the Trip:
DSCF2033.jpg

Got a bit sick of Tuna after a while. I too would like to know how to cook FB without an oven.