Impellers

Portofino

Visit site
Thinking of the impeller drift on the other thread

Here’s a link to the factory / distribution centre in China where the OEM stuff comes from.

I,am currently paying $ 39 each . + $25 shipping . So 104 USD delivered .
French shop € 450 each - €900
American e-bay circa $200 each .

They do two or less main site suggests min order 10 - just send an inquiry and go from there .
Tell them the engine type and part No or just use there shop .

10 min tops for a reply .

Excellent quality btw . Exactly like OEM ,which is what you want .

http://www.flexible-impeller.com

jrudge

Visit site
An impeller is not really rocket science. Flexible rubber on a brass shaft.

Fortunately volvo d12 ones in a volvo box are only £60 on eBay so importing is prob not that cost effective, however ( and pete I know you have a section on this on your site ) the more suppliers of things that can be found the better. If Porto has found them reliable then one assumes they work ok. I just had a volvo one shred and block the heat exchanger requiring removal so nothing is perfect.

As an aside why do we not have metal raw water impellers ? Is it as they can’t be self priming ?

Portofino

Visit site
Got one and “ innocently “went into a MAN parts shop .
“ excuse me Sir can I just open this [ same part box ] please to ckeck this is the same one “

Identical.

“ oh I’ve come without my wallet “

They are rubber / neoprene - sos a good as airseal to suck if drain dry and if shit , hard shit gets past the strainer it does not fracture the spline on the pump - well less inclined to .
Also the chamber is eccentric , but s that’s not the real reason - you have to replace like with like .

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
An impeller is not really rocket science. Flexible rubber on a brass shaft.

Fortunately volvo d12 ones in a volvo box are only £60 on eBay so importing is prob not that cost effective, however ( and pete I know you have a section on this on your site ) the more suppliers of things that can be found the better. If Porto has found them reliable then one assumes they work ok. I just had a volvo one shred and block the heat exchanger requiring removal so nothing is perfect.

As an aside why do we not have metal raw water impellers ? Is it as they can’t be self priming ?

Problem is J, unless I imagined this, there have been report over years of fake / counterfeit impellors failing very quickly. Not something you want when you're at sea. And I wouldn't really want to post a link on my website unless I could be confident in the quality.

Still, not an issue for me as a new VP part is only £35 (inc VAT).

Sishoe

www.indigofiresystems.com
Cat C18 - Sherwood raw water pump
Cat list price - £604.00 + Vat !!!!!!!
ASAP Supplies - £234.00 inc Vat
Both Genuine Sherwood Parts, but I'm sure they're not made in a Sherwood factory, so If an OEM part is available for pennies, I'd happily stock a few for critical spares :encouragement:

Wow $10.00 each if I order 10000, anyone else need a couple ;)

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
Portofino - have you run these impellers for a while now? Are they working out ok?

I dont think just doing an eyeball comparison of the cheap impeller versus the genuine impeller is any gurantee that they will be fine. But if youve been using them for a few years with no issues then thats all the evidence you would need.

Boat2016

Visit site
Might be ok or might not but the Chinese are very good at copying everything except for the quality, I personally wouldn’t take a chance with something that could potentially be very expensive if it failed, if I bought a genuine one and it goes wrong I would expect the manufacturer to stand by it but with the Chinese copy’s I bet you are on your own.

Hardmy

Visit site
Thanks for this link Porto! You should remove the it, otherwise they'd soon hike up their their prices ;-)

A short comparison CN vs OEM in GR:
- Onan impeller $12.75 vs €55
- CAT 3208 impeller $36.95 vs €110
- CAT anode $6.75 vs €14.50

€ prices without greek VAT (24%) and shipping (€25)
$ prices without swiss VAT (8,6%) and import duties (if any) and shipping (?)

But I'd really like to know how many hours you did on your set of "fake" impellers...

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Just because a Chinese website says they're the supplier to those companies, it doesn't mean it's true! As I said, do you REALLY think that VP, etc would allow them to use their licenses, patterns, specifications, trademarks to sell directly to the public. By all means but from this company but buy on the basis that you are taking a gamble on a pattern part with no guarantee of quality and no redress if things go wrong.

jrudge

Visit site
Might be ok or might not but the Chinese are very good at copying everything except for the quality, I personally wouldn’t take a chance with something that could potentially be very expensive if it failed, if I bought a genuine one and it goes wrong I would expect the manufacturer to stand by it but with the Chinese copy’s I bet you are on your own.

Really ! Let’s try it next time.

Hello volvo my impeller has failed.

No problem sir. Here is a new one. E100 please

I want it for free as it has failed.

It’s a service part sir that happens.

I only bought it 3 months ago.

Sir probably got a bag over his intake. Will that be cash or card ?

Reactions: t21

Portofino

Visit site
Identical in every sense .
Service guide says remove and inspect annually and replace every 1000 hrs .
I have got 160 hrs out of the current set and have another set ready .Thats about 2y s .
NowtWrong just thought times up

Engines are run over the winter every 4-6 weeks - so turning them .

Plan on inspection early May @ the annual ,but will fit newer ones .

So as well as eyeballing on the shop counter , pretending my Fr was bad ( it is btw :)) with one out of the right colour box first .
If they were different then that’s a different debate .
The one I took out was the same - because - allegedly ( seen the pics ) boat was stored for 2 1/2 years and then official MAN agents recommissioned summer 14 , owner put it up on the market in the autumn .
Summary .
The one I took out was identical.
The one out of a box in parts shop was identical.

Oh one more thing we have the luxury or “ inlet water pump pressure “ delta .
So if it were to fail I assume I would know before an overheat situation.
That could be a bag on the inlet scoup or impeller shedding .

As said on the other thread , nobody’s holding a knife to throats “ do it this way or else “
I just thought I would put this up and you all can make a decision.

The Ipad , the computer, the phone , and many out of sight car extra,s like - “lane change “ ,” blind spot “ etc are all Chinese
Components.Plus much more ++++

The loophole here is they put up 1000 or 10 min order .
But if you enquire they deal .

We do use genuine fron the MAN agents oil / fuel filters , the relative price diff is 10 , not 100 s
And my view you can’t see inside really to compare .

Last edited:

lionelz

Visit site
Got one and “ innocently “went into a MAN parts shop .
“ excuse me Sir can I just open this [ same part box ] please to ckeck this is the same one “

Identical.

“ oh I’ve come without my wallet “

They are rubber / neoprene - sos a good as airseal to suck if drain dry and if shit , hard shit gets past the strainer it does not fracture the spline on the pump - well less inclined to .
Also the chamber is eccentric , but s that’s not the real reason - you have to replace like with like .

Whilst not having a go at you personally this sort of attitude is why the retail industry is falling down. So the first thing is lets not let anyone make a profit but go direct to the factory and cut everyone out of the loop. And then because I'm not to sure that it's the right product I will go to a shop that is no doubt struggling to make a living and use their service for FREE. I speak as someone who owns a small retail shop, and I have this all the time. If you want a service then you should be prepared to pay for it. So for rant it's not aimed at you in person, it's just the general attitude of people that pisses me off. I know it's very hard to justify and explain why we should sometimes pay more, and I do not know what the margins are in the marine industry. But just think that the next you are out and need something straight away, the good chance is the shop that used to sell it has closed because the factories are now undercutting everyone

jfm

Visit site
You can, if you use centrifugal pumps. They don't self prime, so you have to install below w/line or prime them. MTU fit centrifugal pumps - Hurricane's prin 67 for example - but it is rarely convenient to do this on our sort of cruising boats.
If you want the thing to self prime above w/line then you need an impeller pump, and the impeller must then be flexible, hence rubber

Portofino

Visit site
Whilst not having a go at you personally this sort of attitude is why the retail industry is falling down. So the first thing is lets not let anyone make a profit but go direct to the factory and cut everyone out of the loop. And then because I'm not to sure that it's the right product I will go to a shop that is no doubt struggling to make a living and use their service for FREE. I speak as someone who owns a small retail shop, and I have this all the time. If you want a service then you should be prepared to pay for it. So for rant it's not aimed at you in person, it's just the general attitude of people that pisses me off. I know it's very hard to justify and explain why we should sometimes pay more, and I do not know what the margins are in the marine industry. But just think that the next you are out and need something straight away, the good chance is the shop that used to sell it has closed because the factories are now undercutting everyone

It’s Ok message received re not me :encouragement: personally.

Yup totally agree the “;net “ and more it’s easy access with devices and Co,s like Amazon are changing the shape of the high street for retail.
Again nobody’s holding knifes to the punters throat .

As far as the “ service “ and “convenience” , side of your argument, we are talking with the internet of a choise of speed of delivery and as Jrudge has correctly pointed out —- with mech parts like impeller s try taking one back ,or a car tyre part worn etc. .
Those extra “service “ calc s have been computed and the punter places a low priority on those touchy feeling things .

Btw the other genuine MAN parts have allways been bought via the internet and post / shipping- so personally the high street shop,argument does not hold .
But I get your point about me impeller kicking at @ genuine shop , but I had bought the Internet part before I went in .
Of course if there was a slightest suspicion of a difference then I would have bought A pair .
I did not walking out thinking Crikey .

What would other folks do in the same circumstances?

Last edited: