Immigration Question (not VAT) Checking In/Out EU countries.

Dave100456

Visit site
UK Resident, UK flagged boat.

After completing formalities when arriving at an EU Port of Entry do I need to check out and in again if I sail direct to another EU country.

Thanks

srm

Visit site
Probably a good idea to check each countries regulations to avoid accidentally upsetting the border/immigration authorities.

Here in the Azores, Portuguese islands, we have to check in and out of each marina/harbour, even if just going to the next island or in Terceira between the island's two marinas. On most islands the marina office covers all the paperwork but in Ponta Delgada we had to go through three offices, marina, border control, customs.

Other countries may well be more relaxed, once stamped in to Schengen in Norway we were free to go across to Denmark without further checks.

Dave100456

Visit site
Thanks SRM
When checked into the EU with a car you can travel to other EU countries freely. I appreciate that boats may have different rules, hopefully someone who knows will be along soon.

srm

Visit site
Boat rules vary as in the Azores, which is both in the EU and in the Schengen free movement zone. The reason is that a boat (unlike a car crossing a Schengen land border) can have come in from anywhere in the world. Its up to the skipper to prove where from if asked and a set of check out documents are a simple way.
From my experience different Schengen zone countries treat boats in different ways so specifying which countries you are planning to sail to/from may help you get more specific answers.

Dave100456

Visit site
Srm, The question relates to a boat that has already checked into the EU at say France and then sailing to say Spain. Do you need to get exit papers from France and formally enter Spain? Last last time I moved from the Eastern end of the Med to Atlantic was pre Brexit and I’m ignorant t of the current arrangement.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
No, you don't need to check out. You are in Schengen, not the individual state. You can of course check out if you are going to spend time in international waters to save your Schengen "days" - for example if you were saailing from Greece to southern Spain you could be a t sea for 6 days or more.