Imitation teak decking

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
Are any of these plastic teak decking substitutes suitable for the Med. that is they're not too hot to stand on.
I've recently looked at a job on a friend's boat and the cockpit floor is that hot, I couldn't find anywhere to put my feet down!
Flexiteak has been suggested. What experience of these teak substitutes do you guys have, please?
Pete

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Real teaks decks get really hot so we removed all of it and the boat was 2 inches higher in the water. I think fake teak decks look horrible, seen on Amels, and being brown they are likely to be farily hot. White decks are best which ours were painted after teak removal.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Fake teak decks get at least as hot as the real stuff whilst being tacky to look at. They also shed water quickly so the old trick of sluicing a bucket of sea water over the deck to cool it down doesn't work anywhere near as well as it does on a real wood deck, which absorbs some water and takes time to heat again.

Resolution

Visit site
I fitted fake teak decks about five years ago. Still looks smart and gets admiring comments from guests. Being based in the Med it gets hot, pretty much same as real teak. Weight is a factor, one man carried all my plastic pieces , so maybe 40 kg? Not good for a racer, but no problem on a cruiser. In areas of high usage, like where the helm stands, the grain has worn down and become less grippy. The solution is to get out a scouring pad and scrub along the grain for a while.
Overall rating, perhaps 7 out of 10.

Seven Spades

Visit site
What about cork decks do they get hot? I saw a contest that had been re-decked with cork and it looked really good. I am not sure what it will be like in 5 years though.

Lynette

Visit site
I fitted fake teak (Dek-King) 3 years ago. The decks do get a bit hot in the strongest Mediterranean sunshine, but otherwise no complaints at all.

Gypsyjoss

Visit site
Hi Guys
I need to clarify. The only area on my boat with teak (slats) is the cockpit. So we'll be sitting on them and putting our feet down on them. But they all need replacing. I'm a bit surprised at your comments that teak is as hot as plastic. This is not my experience.
Pete

Tranona

Visit site
For cockpits, there is little advantage in using fake teak as the big saving is in laying the deck. Simple panels like cockpit seats are easy to do in teak. You can either get panels made to your pattern ready to stick down or kits of precut teak to lay yourself. www.kjhowells.com in Poole or moodydeck in Swanwick

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi Guys
I need to clarify. The only area on my boat with teak (slats) is the cockpit. So we'll be sitting on them and putting our feet down on them. But they all need replacing. I'm a bit surprised at your comments that teak is as hot as plastic. This is not my experience.
Pete

Sorry Pete .... but I don't follow your logic? Surely you were the one in your original post who said that the plastic teak was as hot to stand on as real teak and other posters simply seem to have agreed with you. :confused:

Richard