ikea bed base slats for avon dinghy floor - what size?

zoidberg

Visit site
View attachment 56742

have decided to make slatted floor for my avon 7 dinghy (same width as an avon redstart) - only problem is dinghy is on board and given lousy weather we off to Ikea tomorrow and I won't be able to get to dinghy to measure width of floor before Ikea trip- have found photo as above - question ? if anyone has already done this and knows the length of slats to buy pls let me know or if you happen to have immediate access to an avon 7 or redstart and can measure the width of the floor below and inside the tubes (where floor slats would go) pls can you let me know - thanks

Ikea slats come in widths of 70/80 or 90 cm

thanks
Here you are...

53763927979_53d2d9756c_c.jpg

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I've actually done this with IKEA single bed slats.
Made a canvas holder with pockets for the slats.
The up side is that it works really well. The Avon feels a lot more sold and you don't end up with you feet in a puddle..
The down sides:
They are heavy and bulky and therefore difficult to store on boat.
They are fairly easy to fit on a pontoon or a concrete apron, but really difficult to fit on board, where I don't have space on a 26' boat to lay the dingly out on a flat surface.

If I was to do it again I'd use sail battern material as it is lighter a a little more bendy...

If you are in the Poole area I'm happy to lend you mine to try out... PM me.
Andrew

arcot

Visit site
Just fitted my Alibaba inflatable floor custom made for Avon.
Perfect fit from my supplied dimensions and would be even better had I specified hole for center inflable keel valve access....

Mudisox

Visit site
Ikea bed slats are great for improving the comfort and airing of a bed onboard. That is what they are designed for. If you want to bodge something, and it is in a marine [often wet] environment, make sure it is modified to suit the conditions.

zoidberg

Visit site
Just buy the longer Ikea ones and cut them down to the right length. Can't be a huge price difference?
Each IKEA store I've visited has a section for 'end of line' and 'excess' stock. ISTR there's always packs of bed slats going for next to nothing....