Ignition problem Bukh DV20, Identify Relay

Mort

Visit site
Hi,
I have an issue where my Bukh DV20 has suddenly refused to start, no noises, nothing. For the past couple of weeks when I turned the battery power on I've been hearing a clicking sound for a minute or two but couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. From inside I have checked the ignition switch and I don't have 12 Volts. If you look at the photo there is some sort of green relay that feeds the ignition switch, I do have 12 volts there but not on the wire to the ignition. I am wondering if this is the noise I have been hearing (that has now stopped) and this relay has failed. Can anyone identify what the relay thing is and whether I am on the right lines of why the engines not starting,
IMAG1252a.jpg

Here is a closer view
IMAG1953a.jpg
many thanks, Phil

Poignard

Visit site
That relay looks like the one used with the BUKH cold start system and would not prevent the starter turning. Its purpose is to supply power to a heating coil in the air inlet.

Your problem may well be a flat battery or bad connections in the circuit between battery and starter motor. Best to check these common faults before considering anything more obscure.

There is a wiring diagram in the owner's manual if you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I don't have a Bukh but it certainly looks like a relay. Can you use a voltmeter to work out which are the live contacts and then operate the starter and see if the other two contacts go from open circuit to zero resistance. Detach one of the terminals first. If the relay is not closing then try touching the two contacts together and see if anything happens. A very light touch first though!

Richard

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
Sounds like lack of adequate electrical supply. First off check all connections from battery to engine and state of battery charge. Clicking could have been either sparking at connection to starter I have had that!) or starter turning but not engaging due to poor supply of 12 volts.
If that does not solve the problem, then phone the BUKH experts in Poole.

Mort

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice, it's so easy to think you have a major problem when it could be just a loose connection or the batteries haven't quite got enough power, I'll check these things first!