Identifying older engines and boats

andy_wilson

Visit site
Hope someone can point to some web based resources, or have personal knowledge of the following which I have been asked to provide information / help on.

1. 26(ish) foot long motorboat, belived to be a Harlequin, built in Salcombe and powered by one of those Stuart Turner things.

2. Star Sundeck 1420. 14.2 M Semi-displacement TSDY. Built in far East to similar style as Trader etc. Year 1989.

3. Engines for above, described as 2 X 306 PS Volvo Penta Turbo Diesel. They rev. to about 2,200 rpm, and do not appear to have intercoolers (though I may not know an intercooler if I banged my head on one as sail boats are my domain). Despite confusion over I/Cooler, was TAMD63 avail. in 1989 as this motor matches description most closely.

Any help most appreciated.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Dealing with the 2nd boat 1st. A multitude of G.Banks & Trader style boats were imported from Taiwan throughout the 70s & 80s. They were then marketed under various labels probably the most well known being C.Kip. Regarding the Harlequin, if its got a Stuart Turner it must be quite old. If you can put a photo up then I might be able to throw some light on it, if you have the year of build that will help me too. The only Harlequin I know of is an 18 foot 2 berth cabin cruiser and that was outboard powered.

http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

miket

Visit site
Going for 3.:
The VP 306 hp = TAMD61A, which I am fairly certain is both turbo'd (T) and aftercooled (A) Marine Diesel (MD).

I have 2 in my Broom.
They should rev to 2,800/ 2,900 under load.

scottie

Visit site
check how many heads on the volvo
if 2@ 3 then it may be either tamd61a 306 @ 2800 rpm
or
tamd71a 357 @ 2500rpm

if 6 sepperate heads then it could be tmd102a 272hp@2000

if you can not find plates on the engines then check for plate on the turbos or fuel pumps if you get thes a dealer should be able to identify your engines