Ideas for a simple cruise, this weekend.

Seakindly

Beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Visit site
New to Swale area, I want to regain some skippering confidence after a couple of years off-watch. Been browsing the pilot books and feeling twitchy about all that mud. Draw 1.4 Family crew, also rusty. Fri - Sun. Ideas most welcome. Round Sheppey with an overnight at Queensferry? Was thinking of pootling up to Colne but looks a stretch and crossing estuary may not be best first alternative. Boat sound as I've sailed it elsewhere with other crew. Just me that needs an MOT. ps. this guy www.weatherweb.tv/sailweekend.html suggests it might be a bit blowey.

Pye_End

Visit site
Queenborough from Swale as a shakedown sounds as sensible as anywhere - especially with the lunchtime HWers. If you wanted to anchor then go into Stangate.

Otherwise with a southerly wind you could anchor along the north Kent coast.

Not sure I quite believe the strong wind warnings - time will tell!

alldownwind

Visit site
You don't say where you are based, but I'd suggest a short trip in view of the forecast, and if staying out overnight then anchor in Stangate Creek, towards the west side near the southern end, in this SW wind.
If you have 'East Coast Pilot', frankly it's the best book for advice about the whole area.
Anchoring 'off the North Kent coast' probably not the best idea in my view with 20knot forecast. Even Harty Ferry would be uncomfortable, the best place in the Swale would be South Deep but you will probably be touching the mud at LW.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I think that you should believe the wind forecast - it was 20 knots minimum on the Blackwater today - made a change from gentle winds last weekend but not ideal for getting back your confidence, or perhaps even more importantly, the confidence of your family. Stick your nose out, do what seems sensible, live to fight another day.

Pye_End

Visit site
Yep it looks like it did get up a bit. Sheerness site shows peak gust at 35mph. Ended up cylcing along the sea front Whitstable/Herne Bay (was definately easier going east!). However the sea was flat as a pancake. Looked great fun out.

To get back to opportunities on the Medway, there are planty of places further up - marinas (Gillingham, Hoo, Chatham) and moorings - for a weekend stopover. The swale has a few, but personally the beauty of this area is being anchored out. The usual is off Harty Ferry, but really there are plenty of spots further up that leave you afloat at LW.