ICOM M710 and amateur radio

RobbieW

Visit site
Indeed :encouragement:

Name the venue and time :cool:

Marina di Cala del Sole, Licata say next Friday, 25th, from 1800 (to catch happy hour in the local bar)? Good flights in and out of Catania

btw, setting LSB to 'ENABLE' in the config file and uploading it to the radio added LSB as an option on the MODE button. I'm guessing at the moment that J3E implies J3E(USB) and LSB would be J3E(LSB).

Last edited:

MM5AHO

Visit site
If you want the best of both Marine ssb and Amateur SSB,and have an Icom 710, then selling it you could probably buy TWO amateur radios for what you get.
Its far easier to use a transceiver designed for amateur on the marine frequencies than it is the other way about.

oldvarnish

Visit site
Its far easier to use a transceiver designed for amateur on the marine frequencies than it is the other way about.

Thanks Geoff. That's the conclusion I'm slowly working round to.

Which raises two questions: can you recommend a good transceiver for onboard use? And can such a set then be used on marine frequencies? In other words, if I ditched the 710 and bought a good amateur set, would I be getting the best of both worlds?

thanks

RobbieW

Visit site
If you want the best of both Marine ssb and Amateur SSB,and have an Icom 710, then selling it you could probably buy TWO amateur radios for what you get.

Theoretically I'm sure thats true. As I've found over the last few days, once you have the radio's band plan and modes sorted out the main issue is simple VFO style tuning. That is fairly easily resolved as this link, http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/m710.html, outlines - along with the band plan. There are many over on cruisersforum who claim the M710 is a well built set of a quality not easily found in current amateur sets - so it may come down to whether the personal investment in time is more or less than the asset value realised by changing.

MM5AHO

Visit site
I have used a Yaesu FT857D for about 6 years. It does amateur bands 160 - 10m, plus 2m, 6m, 70cm. I use all except 70cm.
It can double as a marine vhf for an emergency, though that would be moredifficult as its frequency driven rather than channelised, and setting up duplex channels difficult, but none impossible.
I take it out of the boat when the boat is out of the water, but despite extensive use and some very rough seas shipped, there's no visible sign of corrosion on the circuit board or elsewhere.
I use the backstay as antenna (insulators top and bottom), counterpoises in the hull, and it "works the world". The extended VHF range can be very interesting in summer.

This is not designed to be a marine radio. But after 6 years and no problems I figure it will last at least 12. After that, I'd be happy to get something else. I could have spent 3 x as much on a transceiver designed for marine use, but with the real hassle of using it on ham bands (and I use it there 20 x as much as marine)

ffiill

Visit site
I definitely have the software and the cable, acquired this winter. The software has to run in a real, not emulated, DOS environment on a machine with a real serial, not USB-Serial, port - they were very definite about that over in cruisersforum - something to do with direct access to serial registers. I now have that setup and can confirm it works, however PCs with real serial ports are now in short supply so perhaps a call to Bob at SailCom (I'd offer but unless you're in Sicily....)

If you use Airmail for Winlink with a Pactor modem, the connections can be set up to control the M710 through the Pactor modem so presetting the frequencies is not necessary. I'm currently trying to set up RMS Express to do the same but so far it doesnt want to.

btw, as has been said you need the full ham license for MM (Maritime Mobile) use as a UK resident. The coursework for that is designed for those who want to build their own equipment so involves a fair degree of electronics theory - I didnt find it easy even though I covered much the same material 40 years ago as an avionics apprentice.
For those who dont kow what RMS express is is some freeware software that creates a virtual modem on yor laptop

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Its far easier to use a transceiver designed for amateur on the marine frequencies than it is the other way about.

You have to have a ham SSB adjusted to use marine frequencies and I don't see why it would be any easier to use.

>Thanks Geoff. That's the conclusion I'm slowly working round to.

I think you wold would be wrong to do that you have an excellent Icom 701 that has both USB and LSB already.

>Which raises two questions: can you recommend a good transceiver for onboard use? And can such a set then be used on marine frequencies? In other words, if I ditched the 710 and bought a good amateur set, would I be getting the best of both worlds?

No need to as above, plus you need both marine and ham licences if you are going to broadcast on both.

oldvarnish

Visit site
I think you wold would be wrong to do that you have an excellent Icom 701 that has both USB and LSB already.

No need to as above, plus you need both marine and ham licences if you are going to broadcast on both.

But my original question still stands - how do you set a 710 to LSB? It's not available on my MODE selector, only USB/ As you'll see from the thread (and others I've read) opinions differ.

PS I've got an LRC and have started the amateur radio exams.

RobbieW

Visit site
But my original question still stands - how do you set a 710 to LSB? It's not available on my MODE selector, only USB/ As you'll see from the thread (and others I've read) opinions differ...

As said above, my 710 didnt have LSB from the MODE selector a week ago now it does. Using 'ex1726' and a clone cable I've edited the internal radio settings (see picture) to enable LSB and add it to the list of selections available from the MODE button.

View attachment 41680

I have also observed that PC programs which control the radio in REMOTE mode are able to tune the radio outside the band plan available from its internal configuration, Airmail is an example. I wonder, but havent yet verified, if those same control programs could also switch the set into LSB mode without it being available to users from the front panel - the set seems capable of using the mode.

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
As said above, my 710 didnt have LSB from the MODE selector a week ago now it does. Using 'ex1726' and a clone cable I've edited the internal radio settings (see picture) to enable LSB and add it to the list of selections available from the MODE button.

View attachment 41680

I have also observed that PC programs which control the radio in REMOTE mode are able to tune the radio outside the band plan available from its internal configuration, Airmail is an example. I wonder, but havent yet verified, if those same control programs could also switch the set into LSB mode without it being available to users from the front panel - the set seems capable of using the mode.

This might help you as this is discussed elsewhere.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/icom-710rt-cloning-programming-software-50491-2.html

RobbieW

Visit site

Bilgediver

Visit site
Thanks, hadnt found that thread though there are many similar ones over there. It does confirm what my experiments last night pointed to - that a mode needs to be in the radio to be usable; it cant be externally set by a remote program unless that is so, unlike frequencies.

That link also mentioned software for out of band frequency control using a laptop. Did you find the Yahoo group???? Might also help Old Varnish.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/icm710/info

RobbieW

Visit site
That link also mentioned software for out of band frequency control using a laptop. Did you find the Yahoo group???? Might also help Old Varnish.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/icm710/info

I'm trying out the Control Panel mentioned, and pictured, on that thread - its very clunky by todays standards, perhaps not helped by my serial connection being suspect; waiting for a new cable that might fit better. Both oldvarnish and I have 'found' the M710 Yahoo group, its a good repository of bits of software for the sets as well as some useful discussion.

Bilgediver

Visit site
I'm trying out the Control Panel mentioned, and pictured, on that thread - its very clunky by todays standards, perhaps not helped by my serial connection being suspect; waiting for a new cable that might fit better. Both oldvarnish and I have 'found' the M710 Yahoo group, its a good repository of bits of software for the sets as well as some useful discussion.

Sometimes the old serial ports using 9 pin plugs required more than just the data in and data out and ground to be active. Some of the USB /serial ports available might not do. One fellow who might help regarding this is G4ZLP who does interfaces for HAm radios however it is possible Icom uses the same protocol on the Marine sets.

http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/IcomCAT.shtml

MM5AHO

Visit site
>Its far easier to use a transceiver designed for amateur on the marine frequencies than it is the other way about.

You have to have a ham SSB adjusted to use marine frequencies and I don't see why it would be any easier to use.

>Thanks Geoff. That's the conclusion I'm slowly working round to.

>Which raises two questions: can you recommend a good transceiver for onboard use? And can such a set then be used on marine frequencies? In other words, if I ditched the 710 and bought a good amateur set, would I be getting the best of both worlds?

The reason I suggest its easier to use a ham set on marine than a marine set on ham frequencies is because a transceiver designed for ham use has infinitely adjustable frequency rather than channelised. Ever tried using a channelised radio on ham bands - can be done but not so easy.
The adjustment to a ham set to enable marine frequencies is a one-off. The fiddliness of using a marine set on ham bands is every use.

prv

Visit site
The reason I suggest its easier to use a ham set on marine than a marine set on ham frequencies is because a transceiver designed for ham use has infinitely adjustable frequency rather than channelised. Ever tried using a channelised radio on ham bands - can be done but not so easy.

But doesn't the awkwardness work the other way as well? I've not used marine HF, but I know trying to use VHF with frequencies instead of channel numbers would be a pain.

(Genuine question - as I say, I have no real experience with the Big Sexy Radios beyond once speaking into a Sailor MF/HF that someone else had set up.)

Pete

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
But doesn't the awkwardness work the other way as well? I've not used marine HF, but I know trying to use VHF with frequencies instead of channel numbers would be a pain.

(Genuine question - as I say, I have no real experience with the Big Sexy Radios beyond once speaking into a Sailor MF/HF that someone else had set up.)

Pete

Yes it would be a pain, but most ham transceivers can be programmed.

I have an ICOM 706 mk 2 on board and for VHF it is programmed for the usually 2 metre amateur band channels.

With a choice of programmable channels and a VFO you get the best of both worlds.