icom 601

bullen

Visit site
Have purchased this DSC VHF I would like to have use of the hailer/foghorn facility. So, having read previous questions on this subject ,we bought the speaker from maplins electronics. Once I recieved it ( within 2 days of ordering) I realised it is 25w / 8 ohms. In the ICOM manuel it suggests 4 ohms..now I know nothing about ohms, will the spec I have cause any problems?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Strathglass

Visit site
It will not be quite as loud as it would be with a 4 ohm speaker but the difference will probably be very little.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheCount

Visit site
I also bought Icom601 last year and got the correct loudhailer from SM Group at the LBShow. I thought that the manual said 8ohms and indeed the Eagle loudhailer that is recommended (About £27) is itself 8ohms. I'm almost sure that is right. Still, what do I know?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jon

Visit site
No problem with 8 ohms, marginal reduction in volume, only an overload problem if you go below 4 ohms i.e. by connecting two 4 ohm speakers in parallel to the out put of the set which would then be loaded with 2 ohms. (2 X 8 ohm speakers would be 4 ohms)

<hr width=100% size=1>

bullen

Visit site
jon, Many thanks. I apologise for my electrical ignorance, but can you tell me type/spec for the foghorn/loudhaler and GPS plugs and cables that fit into the back of the 601 set. Rgards, JB

<hr width=100% size=1>

jon

Visit site
Sorry, but no! I do not have a the set yet, I am building my boat which will not be launched until next year if I am lucky so will buy radios etc near the end.

<hr width=100% size=1>