Icelander 15 Mariner 40hp

John Mc09

Visit site
Hi all,
I've just purchased a Icelander 15ft with a Mariner 40hp outboard and have a few questions.
This is the first boat I've had, previously I've had a couple of SIBs but decided that lugging the SIB up and down the beach was getting a bit tough so I took the plunge.
I can't seem to find any information on the Icelander except it was made in Lancashire, it's a cathedral type hull and although sea worthy I want to really tidy it up. If anyone has anymore information or old manuals it would be greatly appreciated.
It came with a 90/91 Mariner 40hp manual long shaft 6E9 outboard and I'm wondering if it's possible to convert this to an electric start and fit a steering system on the boat?
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks John

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_215540.jpg
    IMG_20231025_215540.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 8

Davy_S

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, the hull is the same as the seahog hunter, but different topsides, the hulls were produced at Freckleton Poolside marina, Lancs the original owner was called Arnie Holt, he is long gone!
they are a very good hull with a deep centre vee, giving a decent ride, i owned one years ago, mine had a 60hp Evinrude fitted, giving around 27 knots 2 up. mine was electric start with remotes and steering wheel, don't know about converting your motor to electric, but probably do able, presumably yours has a tiller? far better to have proper steering if you can.

John Mc09

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, the hull is the same as the seahog hunter, but different topsides, the hulls were produced at Freckleton Poolside marina, Lancs the original owner was called Arnie Holt, he is long gone!
they are a very good hull with a deep centre vee, giving a decent ride, i owned one years ago, mine had a 60hp Evinrude fitted, giving around 27 knots 2 up. mine was electric start with remotes and steering wheel, don't know about converting your motor to electric, but probably do able, presumably yours has a tiller? far better to have proper steering if you can.
Thanks for that information Davy, yes it's got a tiller but if I can't convert the existing engine I will sell this one on and upgrade to one with remotes, it's got to be far easier!

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Adding remote gear and throttle, and steering will be possible, but the engine fittings for gear and throttle may make your eyes water when you price up a conversion kit to remove the tiller, plus a remote gear/throttle lever and cables.
The steering is much easier but will still come in about £200 for a teleflex wheel, hub, cable and engine fitting.
Converting to electric start will cost multiples of the engine value.
The easiest and quite likely the cheapest option would be replace the 30year+ engine with something more modern with electric start and remotes already in place. A new engine would still need a steering system, they aren’t included in engine packages.
One option would be to look for a scrapper boat with a decent motor and steering.

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
The boat will plane well with any engine around 40hp, mine was used for sea fishing, so the boat was mainly driven from a standing position at the wheel (as were most similar boats in the club) we occasionally landed on the beach, with a big edge on it, ie surf, you would not want to do that with a tiller!:) having remotes allows you to switch the engine off at the last minute and the engine will kick up without damaging the prop.

John Mc09

Visit site
Adding remote gear and throttle, and steering will be possible, but the engine fittings for gear and throttle may make your eyes water when you price up a conversion kit to remove the tiller, plus a remote gear/throttle lever and cables.
The steering is much easier but will still come in about £200 for a teleflex wheel, hub, cable and engine fitting.
Converting to electric start will cost multiples of the engine value.
The easiest and quite likely the cheapest option would be replace the 30year+ engine with something more modern with electric start and remotes already in place. A new engine would still need a steering system, they aren’t included in engine packages.
One option would be to look for a scrapper boat with a decent motor and steering.
Thanks for that information, can't see that putting much money into an old engine makes sense, especially when a newer one would be more reliable.