Ice on a teal deck.

wazza

Visit site
Hello panel,
I have a teak deck on my boat. Is anyone that has the same worried about water intrusion during the winter, it freezing and as a consequence causing problems in the deck.?
Thanks
Warren

Moodysailor

Visit site
I've never worried about it. If concerned, throw some salt water on it as it will have a lower freeze temperature.

TBH, I've seen more damage to teak decks from human factors (incorrect/constant/aggressive cleaning) than I have from anything nature can throw at them. One boat in our marina the owners sand the deck every season - it's a well known French brand of yacht, so I can't imagine that deck will last very long, but they love the 'golden' look.....

Stemar

Visit site
Ouch - they'll find out that's an expensive way to have a pretty boat!

In the UK sea water will keep things from freezing, but I can imagine that there are places in Sweden, where it may not. All the same, HR, Najad and others from that part of the world fit teak decks, and I can't imagine they'd do so if they couldn't stand up to the local weather. Maybe ask them about it?

Do you come out for the winter? if so, a cover would keep the rain off. Once it gets properly cold,

BabaYaga

Visit site
I've never worried about it. If concerned, throw some salt water on it as it will have a lower freeze temperature.

In the UK sea water will keep things from freezing, but I can imagine that there are places in Sweden, where it may not.

Sea water normally freezes at around 2 degrees C below zero (because of salinity), so the difference to fresh water is not that great.

wazza

Visit site
I’ve kept the mast on this year so to completely cover the boat will be a problem. A cover fore of the mast and another aft of the mast will have to suffice. Here in Sweden it gets well below freezing and will have to contend with snow too.
I’ve sanded the deck once and that was after completely re caulking as well as removing all plugs & screws and then replacing the screws with thickened epoxy. Fun job I can tell you?

Rappey

Visit site
There are many wood structures in countries that have very low freezing temps in winter but all seem unnafected by the wood freezing..
The humidity at very low temps is also low so less moisture to freeze?
I went for a short sail one winters day. the sheets were a little solid and frost on the decks.. I thought a bucket of seawater would cure this.. Quite the opposite as the seawater quickly turned to black ice..